Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had soo many problems with my 2002 zx3 my newest is the coolant is leaking no stop out of the housing i guess? its the block that mounts to the side of the motor. its leaking in between the two (right where they meet its like if it was welded itd stop.) is there a gasket? my valve gasket is leaking too but thts just the valve cover gasket that needs to be replaced. do i need that new distributor mount?

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
if it is the thermostat housing, then it would generally run down the front of the block and drip from the point where the transaxle joins with the engine. It may look like this is where it is dripping from, but it is actually coming from a point much higher up. the thermostat housing is the small black box on the drivers side of the engine, and it has several hoses attached to it. Here is a link with pictures that shows you how to change the housing. http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=59

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thatsvwhat is whats wrong i can see where its actually comming out....its so bad that if i squeeze the biggest hose gently u can see the coolant come out..............u say i need a new housing? How much does that cost? Where can i get it besides ford? Is the housing the whole pack? Or is it more of just a new gasket type of deal?

·
AAAHHHHH!!!!
4,304 Posts
it could be that you just need a new gasket. about a month ago mine lost all of its coolant so i just went ahead and replaced everything (housing, gasket, thermostat) so that it wouldnt happen again anytime soon. the housings have a tendancy to crack over time so you may want to replace it anyway even if your problem is just the gasket. I took mine to a local shop (not a dealer) and had mine fixed. if i recall correctly, the total charge including labor was around 140 or so. I would have preferred to fix this myself but didnt have te time to wait on the parts to be delivered since i had no way of going and buying them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Recently, a fellow employee with a 2000 had the problem. Had to replace the housing, think it was made of plastic. Housing cost $45 at ford, apparently no aftermarket. The gasket is an oring, but the inside of the oring groove broke away, allowing the oring to dislocate. and leak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts