Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently they have phillips d2s 35w bulbs in them, what cool things can i do to them? i mean i have 4 lights to work with and i'm pretty sure there's a website where i can get colored bulbs to make them even cooler, not to mention all the wiring involved putting them in, i'm sure one of you fanatics toyed with them and had some cool results

so what's there to do with them? i accidently wired the DRL (city light) with the turn signal and vice versa, i sort of liked that look. but i hate the fast turn signals

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The coolest thing you could do is take them off your car and mail them to me. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The coolest thing you could do is take them off your car and mail them to me. That would be awesome.
nah, they would be best sent to me. [:D] [drummer]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPS broke a total of 4 tabs off (kudos to kenzx3 for wrapping one of the weakest tabs with an applebee's kids cup, creative and it saved the passenger's side light) they aren't getting shipped again

can i upgrade to 55w bulbs without having to change anything? other than the bulb obviously

·
Registered
306 Posts
I guess I don't know for sure what the Mach ballasts are rated for, but typically you need a more powerful ballast to run 55w bulbs.

You've probably got 4300k bulbs, you could always choose a higher kelvin light for a more blue/purple look. As for the other lights, I suppose you could replace them with colored bulbs (or switch to LED, but you'll need to wire in resistors) but you have to keep in mind that some colors (red, for sure) cannot be put in the front legally.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
I just finished installing 5k bulbs and clear lenses and removed the shield on my machs. Look outstanding. Im very happy with them

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just finished installing 5k bulbs and clear lenses and removed the shield on my machs. Look outstanding. Im very happy with them
i don't know if i want to open them, i've never done it before and i really don't want to mess up an already hard to find item

can they handle 55w bulbs? i would think so.. i mean it's the best headlight out there other than the OEM hid housings

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
U don't have to take off the plastic lends to mod them. I did all my modifications in threw the removable back cover. I drove over 200 miles last night and my lights were outperforming bmws, benz and a couple of escalades. Im glad I fixed mine up and only 35w 5ks and clear lenses. The higher kelvin u go the visablity(lumins) go down. If u want bright I wouldn't go past 6000k

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
U don't have to take off the plastic lends to mod them. I did all my modifications in threw the removable back cover. I drove over 200 miles last night and my lights were outperforming bmws, benz and a couple of escalades. Im glad I fixed mine up and only 35w 5ks and clear lenses. The higher kelvin u go the visablity(lumins) go down. If u want bright I wouldn't go past 6000k
can i put the 55w bulbs in them though? also how does the back remove off? when i bought them they came with the VW plugs all wired up and ready to be connected but there wasn't much wiring.. i don't want to cut the wires even more getting them out.

also to the ironman focus, where did you put the LEDs? that's a cool look in the nighttime, and what color LED did you use for the city lights? i was looking at the soft white color on superbrightleds

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
UPS broke a total of 4 tabs off (kudos to kenzx3 for wrapping one of the weakest tabs with an applebee's kids cup, creative and it saved the passenger's side light) they aren't getting shipped again

can i upgrade to 55w bulbs without having to change anything? other than the bulb obviously
I guess I don't know for sure what the Mach ballasts are rated for, but typically you need a more powerful ballast to run 55w bulbs.

You've probably got 4300k bulbs, you could always choose a higher kelvin light for a more blue/purple look. As for the other lights, I suppose you could replace them with colored bulbs (or switch to LED, but you'll need to wire in resistors) but you have to keep in mind that some colors (red, for sure) cannot be put in the front legally.
I always thought 55w is ford put in from the factory?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The night glow are LED strips that I put on the lower edge of the Mach housing. I had them installed before I took them apart. You can put them in from the back. I wired them into the parking lamp circuit so there is no additional wires coming out the Machs. The city light is an LED replacement bulb from Pep Boys. $8 I think for a pair of them. I has blue and them white and it was bright.

·
Registered
397 Posts
what bulb for the city lights? I recently cracked my svt hid assembly and the city light got busted. I am replacing the housing with the cfm unit and figured I would replace the city lights with LED's but dont see that option on superbrightleds.com

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
^^194 wedge base

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Try vleds.com instead

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ what's the difference? superbright just lowered their prices and shipping fees about a month ago, i've only gotten one bad bulb from them in the past 8 months i've used them for random things around the house and my car

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Output. Designs are different (so it has a better light throw). And they use smt leds. I have vleds in my Svt and a couple from SB leds in my fairlane.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts