Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what you need to convert the rear drums to disks? I just want stock size disks. If I find a Focus with rear disks in the junkyard, what would I need? Do I need the spindle too?

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
my guess is yes you will need the spindle also, and even if you don't it might be better to just get it all to avoid the potential problems. You'll also need to find the rear fluid diverter valve, I don't know what its called but I certainly know what it does...it will adjust the pressure of the fluid sent through the rear lines to adjust the balance of the braking, I did a rear disc conversion on my 88 VW Jetta, and I damn near killed myself when I first applied the brakes because the back brakes locked up before the front brakes even engaged 10%...after getting the valve all was good, and the car had great brakes, but this is an often overlooked part when doing a rear conversion.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
We did some research on this awhile back and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it.

When you buy all the parts and swap it all over, the cost out weighs the benefits.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from, but I think Red is looking to go the junk yard route and hope to find a smashed svt, I'm sure they are starting to appear by now..
I think the first thing he should do is call me on the phone and let me know where he found a wrecked svt with a good set of discs on the rear....so I can....ummm..you know...check it out for him...lol
Seriously, it may not be so much as a need , but a want. The one thing I am unhappy about is that my focus is not 4 wheeel disc, it justs bugs me, does it need the rear discs? ..No, but I would like to have em, I was going to order them with the car, but the only way to get them on my car was along with abs and tcs...no not for me....Any way, good heads up on the porportioning valve body, you can also get adjustable ones in the aftermarket for the brakes as well...

Red, if you find two, call me and I'll meet with you and we can pull them together..!If I'm not there to help, always follow the first junk yard rule, If you think you MIGHT need it ..PULL IT!

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Look for an auto recycler on the internet. They aren't just boneyards anymore they know what they have and know how much to charge. Unless you got the parts for super cheap then I am not sure its worth it, though the SVT setup might be nice.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
just upgrade the fronts-there so small stock-i'm ashamed of ford sometimes........

·
Registered
344 Posts
well, whether or not is is cost effective, i am also interested in:

1. improving the front discs
2. removing the drums in rear and installing discs
3. no abs, not required

i know that the parts (new) are cost prohibitive by themselves, but used, or salvage might be the way. stopping power is my next mod (after suspension). i can't increase the top speed of the pzev, nor can i increase acceleration much without having to ruin any smog qualifications...this equals = too much hassle for me personally, but going slower (braking) (faster) is very much a performance issue. please post any progress on this subject, thanks.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I feel like Viney. I know I don't need disks, it just bothers me that it doesn't have them. I can't really complaing at all about the brakes though, they work just fine.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
yup you would, think of it this way, the stock focus brakes fit inside 15" wheels, and you'll need at least 16" wheels to clear the 12" rotors for the rear, you'll need SVT size or bigger front rotors to counter that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stock brakes fit into 14" wheels. I have them, on 2002 ZX3, they've been on the car for about a year now, clear nicely, and no complaints. The car came with 16"s of course.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
why i nthe hell do u want 14in wheels?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If the stock brakes will lock the wheels, then they're already good enough to provide all the stopping power you can possibly use. However, if you've upgraded to wider and/or stickier tires, you might reach a point of having more traction than brakes and an upgrade is in order. And if you do a lot of hard driving, in the twisties/mountains/track, bigger brakes are going to get you more resistance to fade.

My stock little front discs/rear drums with stock Pirelli 205/50-16 tires are good enough per the above.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I am not concerned weather they mechanicly will fit.. they will if you get all the hardware necessary. My concern is the wheel speed sensor for the abs. I am sure that could be spliced into existing wires if the sensor is different. The system is simply sensing weather the wheel is turning or not. To find a wrecked disk brake car in the wrecking yard would be sweet. I have a freind that if he gets one in the parts are mine for CHEAP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts