Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys and gals. I have decided that i'm going to convert my 2014 Ford Focus Titanium to the face lifted 2015-2018 model year so that i can have all the goody options. [:0] I bought my car last year thinking the 2014 was the face lift year and that it had more options that can be added to it. Well i should have done my research before i bought it cause the person that told me the 14 was the turn over year was wrong. So instead of just selling my 2014 and loosing a ton of money on it, i made the big decision that i will just make a 2015 out of my car. 100% with no 2014 parts in it at all. I have about completed getting everything needed to start my project. I have the engine computer, with the engine bay wiring harness, dash wiring harness, complete inside wiring harness from the dash to the rear hatch, i have the front bumper, head lights, and hood for the front, i have the other rear bumper cover that has no holes for the parking assist sensors because i will need to install 4 sensors instead of the 3 my car has now. So i will be drilling out the holes in the front and rear bumpers to mount the new sensors. All the wiring i bought is for the tech pak and the complete parking assist options as well as the rain sensing system too. I bought an ABS module, Body Control Module, Sync 3 with Nav module, RFA module, Imaging processing module, Climate control module, instrument cluster, that will have my current mileage on it, front interface module, audio control module, complete console out of a 2017 Titanium, both front door wiring harnesses and the door modules that go with them, key less entry keypad for the door, sunroof motor module, over head console complete with ambient light module, both front door panels, both front seats and the parking aid module for the full park assist feature. And a few other odds and ends. I need the blind spot monitoring modules for both sides and the mirrors yet and front heated windshield for the lane keeping assist. I also got the heated steering wheel with paddle shifters on it and the steering angle sensor module and the turn signal lever that has the power switch to activate the lane keeping with cross traffic alert system as well as the auto wiper system lever.

So i will keep you guys in the loop as i get ready to fire up the car once everything is installed and ready to go. Now once i get ready to start the car, i will have to download the as built data from a vin car that has all these options so i can upload and program all modules to run together just as in the donor cars the parts came out of. Most all used stuff i bought came from 2015 and 2016 cars for the exception of the center console. That was out of a 2017. Now keep in mind when i told the Ford service guy that i was doing this at my local dealer he says there is no way that is going to work. Well, i personally don't see how not. Everything is going to be from 2015-2017 cars. All the parts work together in those cars, so why not my car. the only thing that will be 2014 will just be the rolling chassis. That's it. Well and the motor and trans will be in it. Those are the same as the 2015 so nothing has to change there. So i will prove to the Ford guy after i'm all done and driving the car that it can and will be done.[headbang]

So if you guys have any questions for me if you want to attempt to make your car better than the one you have now or just add any options to your current setup, just ask me i can help. I guess you can say i'm certified in Ford wiring and there systems.[:)]

·
Registered
146 Posts
good luck in your endeavor, with the park assist if you don't already have the electric power steering you will need that for the park assist, since your going to the trouble how about adaptive cruise control too? rear parking camera too not sure if that is needed also for the park assist

it is correct that in 2014 it was the crossover year especially here in the uk i have a june 2014, but you could still get a 2014 model in 2015 and a 2015 model from september 2014

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well guys and gals. I have decided that i'm going to convert my 2014 Ford Focus Titanium to the face lifted 2015-2018 model year so that i can have all the goody options. [:0] I bought my car last year thinking the 2014 was the face lift year and that it had more options that can be added to it. Well i should have done my research before i bought it cause the person that told me the 14 was the turn over year was wrong. So instead of just selling my 2014 and loosing a ton of money on it, i made the big decision that i will just make a 2015 out of my car. 100% with no 2014 parts in it at all. I have about completed getting everything needed to start my project. I have the engine computer, with the engine bay wiring harness, dash wiring harness, complete inside wiring harness from the dash to the rear hatch, i have the front bumper, head lights, and hood for the front, i have the other rear bumper cover that has no holes for the parking assist sensors because i will need to install 4 sensors instead of the 3 my car has now. So i will be drilling out the holes in the front and rear bumpers to mount the new sensors. All the wiring i bought is for the tech pak and the complete parking assist options as well as the rain sensing system too. I bought an ABS module, Body Control Module, Sync 3 with Nav module, RFA module, Imaging processing module, Climate control module, instrument cluster, that will have my current mileage on it, front interface module, audio control module, complete console out of a 2017 Titanium, both front door wiring harnesses and the door modules that go with them, key less entry keypad for the door, sunroof motor module, over head console complete with ambient light module, both front door panels, both front seats and the parking aid module for the full park assist feature. And a few other odds and ends. I need the blind spot monitoring modules for both sides and the mirrors yet and front heated windshield for the lane keeping assist. I also got the heated steering wheel with paddle shifters on it and the steering angle sensor module and the turn signal lever that has the power switch to activate the lane keeping with cross traffic alert system as well as the auto wiper system lever.

So i will keep you guys in the loop as i get ready to fire up the car once everything is installed and ready to go. Now once i get ready to start the car, i will have to download the as built data from a vin car that has all these options so i can upload and program all modules to run together just as in the donor cars the parts came out of. Most all used stuff i bought came from 2015 and 2016 cars for the exception of the center console. That was out of a 2017. Now keep in mind when i told the Ford service guy that i was doing this at my local dealer he says there is no way that is going to work. Well, i personally don't see how not. Everything is going to be from 2015-2017 cars. All the parts work together in those cars, so why not my car. the only thing that will be 2014 will just be the rolling chassis. That's it. Well and the motor and trans will be in it. Those are the same as the 2015 so nothing has to change there. So i will prove to the Ford guy after i'm all done and driving the car that it can and will be done.[headbang]

So if you guys have any questions for me if you want to attempt to make your car better than the one you have now or just add any options to your current setup, just ask me i can help. I guess you can say i'm certified in Ford wiring and there systems.[:)]
Not hating, but how is this more cost effective than selling and buying a newer model? Keep in mind time is money and this isn't going to be a quick swap. I'd also think the little stuff (like stated above) would add up quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not hating, but how is this more cost effective than selling and buying a newer model? Keep in mind time is money and this isn't going to be a quick swap. I'd also think the little stuff (like stated above) would add up quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I was wondering the same thing...with projects like this, there usually always stuff that isn't 100% plug and play.

Time is money. Just because you're doing the work yourself, doesn't mean it isn't costing you anything. I always put a dollar value on work I do to my cars so I can visualize how much I saved, but how much in time it cost me.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Obviously your time and money, but this sounds like a disaster in the making. Are you prepared to have your car disabled for extended periods of time? Which "goody options" are you missing on your loaded '14 Titanium, and can't you just add them, or something close?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey sundance, well i would love to have adaptive cruise control but they don't have that option in the US and yes i have electric power steering and the rear view camera already standard on the Titanium. Infact i think here in the US, all Focus 2012 to 2018 are standard with electric steering.

And for ALLANH I first want to say thank you for your service man. I agree time is money and it is going to be way cheaper to do it this way than to buy a later car and then on top of that add the other stuff. See, i'm in the car repair business and i have a ton of connections especially for used stuff. The 5 main wiring harnesses i bought for the car i bought new from Ford. They in total only cost me $1,000. The rest of the stuff i got out of wrecked cars with low millage on them. So i might have around 2 grand into everything i need or a little more give or take. I own 4 cars total and a motorcycle so having my car down for any length of time is no biggie. It will literally take me a couple days to strip my car and maybe 4 or 5 days to install all the 2015 stuff. But see the other part of this is i love doing this kind of work. I once 5 years ago converted my brothers 2008 Ford Focus base model into a 2011 SES fully loaded car. It was a challenge, but i got it done and all worked fine.

VIPER...... Again i don't mind taking the time to do this. I love a good challenge and i love doing the impossible. You can take a module from any 2015-2018 car and they will all be plug and play and work together. It is the programming that makes them work. They all will have the same firmware to allow them to communicate together. This much i know.

SAINTSFINS....Well, this all really started because i acquired a 2016 ST heated steering wheel that i really liked. I thought it looks really nice in my car. Well when i put it in, all worked except the cruise control. After doing my research as to why the cruise did not work, i found that the ABS module is different in the 2014 and that's why the Steering Angle Sensor Module was not able to communicate with the ABS module. So this bugged the crap out of me. But as you asked why can't i just add the options to my current car. Well because the firmware is not the same in the modules. 2012-2014 is one firmware version and 2015-2018 is another.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, a lot of you guys are wondering what options am i missing in my 2014. Well here is a list of the options i will now get with the 2015 upgrade.

BLIS (Blind Spot Information System)
Cross Traffic Alert
Lane Keeping Aid
8 Way Electric Drivers Seat
Front Storage Bin In The Console (This is the one i love the most)
Cup Holders In The Front Door Panels
Front Map Lights In Over Head Console
Heated Steering Wheel
DRL (Day Time Running Lights)
Auto High Beams
Rain Sensing Wipers
SecuriCode Entry Keypad
Digital MPH
Glove Box Light
NOT AN OPTION But to me a much nicer looking front bumper cover.

I know to a lot of you guys these don't seem like a lot of extra's that the 2014 did not come with but i'm an option hoarder LOL. After doing my brothers conversion on his 2008, I just have to do this on mine now. Granted i wish i bought a 2015 car. I would have been able to have the heated steering wheel option and a few other goodies but if i wanted to add the tech package to it I would have to change all the wiring in the car anyways. NOW all you guys that have a 2012-2014 you can't tell me you don't like the fact you have nowhere to put your cell phone or small gate key ring in and that your cup holders are so close to your console lid that it's a pain. Well this really bugs me to know end. In the 2015 and up cars, the cup holders are facing forward and not side to side. And they also got smart and put a little storage bin in the center console like in older models dating before 2012. And don't forget the front and rear door cup holders as well. This is just me guys. :) Or is it?????

·
Registered
861 Posts
NOW all you guys that have a 2012-2014 you can't tell me you don't like the fact you have nowhere to put your cell phone or small gate key ring in and that your cup holders are so close to your console lid that it's a pain.

And don't forget the front and rear door cup holders as well. This is just me guys. :) Or is it?????
I usually put my phone in the center console cup holders. If I don't have a passenger, I might toss it on the seat. Not an issue for me. My garage door opener is in the door panel.

Rear door cup holders? Don't you have rear cup holders in the center armrest?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes i do. And the rear door panels as well. I usually always have a passenger with me. If he don't use the passenger side cup holder, then i will use it for my Pepsi and bottled water.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update On My Conversion

So, here is an update on my 2014 Titanium Hatch to a 2016. Well i have everything stripped down to the metal. All the wiring harnesses you see in the pics will be taken out and replaced with the 2016 wiring which is equipped with the tech package. That's for the blind spot monitoring system, cross traffic alert, complete parallel parking assist as well as backing into a straight parking spot, side sensing system, lane keeping system, driver alert and rain sensing wipers. It is now ready to go to the body shop to get it's new L1 performance blue paint job. [8D] Then once it's painted, it will come back to my house and i will then swap out all wiring and begin it's assembly to then be a 2016 Titanium with all options that were available on that car. I will keep you guys updated as progress keeps going. As for a few of you that told me i will never get my car to run right after i'm done. We will have to see about that. [:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since you have gone that far, add some sound deadening before you put it back together since the things are so frigging loud on the highway.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Seems too busy of options for my taste and I like a more organic drive than a bunch of stuff doing it for me. Adaptive cruise,rain sensing wipers? I can adjust my driving and turn on the wipers when i see rain;I guess I like it old school and not really into all these driver's aids unless it's something like the emergency braking but a bunch of the other stuff seems to be for lazy,inattentive drivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey man i like your style keep it up and good luck and dont worry about them haters and nick knocks it amazes me you have a community for a car and instead of saying anything positive t they got nothing but bullshit and negativity but anyways keep it up bro ill be checking in

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Aniekan925, yeah it's actually challenging and fun for me. I love life with a challenge. That's why i fly airplanes, sky dive and even bungee jump.

For those of you who say i should make it into an ST...... Ummm, i already own 2 turbo charged sports cars. One has 361hp to the rear wheels and my other one has 624hp to all four wheels. I don't want another turbo car. That's why i bought the Titanium. I don't take out my sports cars but once a month if even that. I need a daily driver that gets good gas millage.

UPDATE: So the car is in the paint booth getting sprayed today. :-D All glass is out of the car including the sun roof. There is not a part on the car that can come off. This is the proper way to do a color change. I will get the car back in a few days and start the process of getting everything 2016 installed and put together.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny you would ask about that. :) There was this guy on LetGo that was selling a brand new in the box, a shaft seal and the complete clutch unit that he got for his 2015 but the car was totaled in an accident so he never got to have it installed in the car. So he sold it to me for 150.00 for the whole unit and seal. :-D Of course i don't need it right now as mine was just replaced under warranty, but if for some reason i will ever need it for my car in the future, at lease i have the unit already and for way cheaper than buying it at Ford.

I can't really get into doing fixes on these cars right now. I'm way to busy with my Rotary shop. But maybe down the line if things slow down for me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts