Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a st1 found a salvage st3 I would to have the options, seat stereo,navi,amp,sub etc. can it be done? Thx

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Well certainly it can be done. But is it worth it?
Tough to say.
The car would be a freak, with a title for a ST1 and ST3 parts added.
Generally stuff modified has no value, and even a negative on a trade in.
So any plan in the future would have to consider as a trade in the car would be worth LESS than you ST1 is now.
The only way it would gain is to sell it privately to someone who did not realize it would be worth less....

Then you have the cost of buying the ST3 parts... And the cost plus hassle of integrating them into your ST1.
I would think the #1 problem (from a labor point of view) would be the dashboard changover to be able to use the climate controls and NAV..

The seats are totally no problem. The HID are not much of a problem.

The dash and climate and nav are going to be a BIG problem.

So IMO the seats would be easy and a nice addition. You could even keep the stock seats when you sell, and the sell the Recaro again separately. Ditto the HID headlights.

As for the NAV, and screen, stereo and climate controls? (having to swap the whole dashboard to use... forget it. A headache you will not likely solve IMO. This is due to the computerized nature of those parts.. Fitting them not to much of an issue. Getting them to ALL work? LOL not gonna happen. Most likely the computerized programming will just never integrate well, and either totally fail, or mess up other stuff..
And if you bought he entire other ST3 cars' computer systems to make them work, then you may be way outside ever being able to sell the car later on at all. (it would become 'salvage' even though your car was never damaged)

Now this is all my own conjecture, and perhaps I am totally wrong, and it is an easy swap... I doubt it though.

·
Registered
624 Posts
the only way I would even try the nav upgrade for this would be if I had both cars available. Then I would swap everything including the COMPLETE wiring harnesses. From there everything would be easy

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
the only way I would even try the nav upgrade for this would be if I had both cars available. Then I would swap everything including the COMPLETE wiring harnesses. From there everything would be easy
The wiring harnesses are the key (and clearly the biggest PITA).
Everything else pretty much is just disassemble and assemble.

The Focus doesn't have a central "computer system" but rather it has interconnected modules.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts