Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the other day i was under my car instaling the lower stress bar the gets conected to the lower control arms and i noticed that ther is alot of improvment that can be made. my thoughts were to instal polly bushings in the control arms to get better handling, http://www.focussport.com/controlarmbushings.htm

in a couple threads i seen people buying the steeda mounts from mike at hilbish for the lower motor mount and seeing a big diff. i went out and just bought a vf lower mount and now im wanting to do the control are bushing but was wondering if anybody else has done this yet and see if they have any imput. HELP!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you don't mind more vibration and road feel, its a pretty good mod. I have all poly bushings and the saleen racecraft suspension and my car feels about 30% stiffer then my buddies who only has saleen racecraft suspension. If you road race or auto cross your car you will love it, for daily driving it all depends on ur tolerance for rattles and squeaks. I love mine, but i still think all poly motor mounts did more then all poly suspension bushings.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i just got the prothane complete bushing kit... i was wondering if there is any install tips or how to for this thing. seems pretty complicated...
sorry for the thread jack

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, I did the front my self. Only had the bushings pressed in and out. Front is easy. But the back I had several stuck bolts, that broke. So I brought it to my buddies garage for the rest of them in the back. He said it was a bit of a bitch with all the bolts messing up, pretty straight forward if your bolts are good. The only bushing I didn't change was the rear switch blade bushings (THESE). But anyway I heard its better to stay stock on those.
The difficulty is not bad on the whole thing, it is harder then putting new suspension and sway bars, but if you do it step by step its very doable. Just have to hope your bolts don't act up, lots of WD 40.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well as far as I know, our suspension needs some side to side play and was designed with the rubber bushings in mind. What I have heard is that the ploy bushings are prone to loading up and then producing sudden snaps in cornering. I have never experienced it but I have read several threads on here about it. The only reason why I didn't change mine was because the bolts were seized and it was a real pain to get to it, would have changed them if it was easier.

·
Registered
626 Posts
so like the loaded the suspension then it released in the middle of the corner???
so if you loaded it right it sounds like you can really sling yourself out of the corner pretty good.... thats just what it sounds like to me....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts