Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have heard that if you find a junked contour with the Zetec, you can pull the valve cover off and put it on your Focus Zetec because it is supposed to look much nicer. Is this true? Do you have to modify anything or is it as simple as unbolting it and swapping them with a new gasket? Is there a how to or can some one show me. I can get one for super cheap and would like to do this if possible.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
It can be done.

I've done it.... There are some pros and cons though:

First here is a pic.

Pros: Can be powdercoated.... They look great!
Cons: The bolts that hold the Valve cover on the focus are longer than ones on a contour...so you will need to shim the bolts... (I just stacked washers in order to get good pressure on the valve cover when you tighten them down)

Those are really the only problems I have...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i did mine in black, the pic makes it look horrible, but in person it looks so nice, oh and you need to get the valve cover gasket for the contour, the stock gasket for the focus wont work.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay those look pretty cool. So how hard is it to do then? Is it just remove four bolts, get a contour gasket, get some shims, and bolt on to focus? If so that is sweet cause I am no fan of the stock focus one. And how tight do you have to tighten it? Is tight tight or is there a recommended spec?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
instead of using washers or shims i spent $10 at the hardware store and bought some
M6 x 1.00 bolts, im not sure about the length but thats the diameter and the thread pitch. you need bolts about 3/8" to 1/2" shorter. i got those bolts with the round allen heads on them, they look alot better than stock.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
instead of using washers or shims i spent $10 at the hardware store and bought some
M6 x 1.00 bolts, im not sure about the length but thats the diameter and the thread pitch. you need bolts about 3/8" to 1/2" shorter. i got those bolts with the round allen heads on them, they look alot better than stock.
You can even find anodized bolts in the size for some extra added flair. [headbang]

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay guys I went to my pull a part place and got a metal valve cover from an 97 Contour. It was super easy to get off and looks pretty good. Best part is I paid $6.68 for the thing!!! I even got the plasic gear cover that came with it!!! I'm super pumped to get it painted and put on the foci!!! All I have to get is the contour gasket and some bolts. Any one have any advice on the length of the bolts and how tight to torque them down and if there is any special order to do it?

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
oh yeah, ive had mine bent over for so long i about forgot where it was to begin with.
(burnout moment)[8]

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
when i bought my black allen head bolts at the hardware store they had some just like mine except they were anodized. i got the black ones to match my painted cam cover plus they didnt have the size bolts i needed.

im sure there a few people wondering about the contour valve cover bolt spec's so here it is:

M6 x 1.00 x 1.25" (i didnt know if i wrote it correclty or not but "1.00" is the thread pitch and "1.25" is the length)

IMO i wouldnt waste money on special mailorder bolts if you know the specs, but for instance i couldntfigure out what size bolts and studs i needed for my header so i just ordered the header bolts from massive.

i hope that helped some of you guys out

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
M6 x 1.00 x 1.25" (i didnt know if i wrote it correclty or not but "1.00" is the thread pitch and "1.25" is the length)
Thats exactly what I needed to know. Now all I need to do is buy them! Thanks cwatson411. +REP

·
Registered
26 Posts
What i have been wondering is if they make aluminum vavle covers cause wouldnt that be less heat and better denseity

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just pulled a metal valve cover off a 97 Mercury Mystique, but it is flat on the side oppisite of the cam gears, where the head dips down by the cams. So I am out $10.70 and an afternoon. Isn't that supposed to work though? I thought that a Contour and a Mystique were pretty much the same thing.

Am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts