Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
.Flat Out.
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i swapped out the temp sensor housing to the 2000 contour housing to fix the freeze plug leak, well that leak is fixed but now the new housing is leaking! How tight am i supposed to toghten the three forward facing bolts? they seem pretty tight but I'm still getting a leak at the bottom bolt... do i need to seal it with a rtv of some sort? New thermostat oring? I put in a new 180* temp and oring about 500 miles ago so it shouldn't be bad so this confuses me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We do have a group buy going for a Bostig aluminum thermostat housing if you're interested. Please check it out and put your name on the list if you want.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Looks to me like you overtightened it and cracked the outlet (bottom ear).
Sucks but you're looking for a new water outlet now.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
If it's not cracked, I've had problems with a FelPro thermo gasket leaking like that, it was a hair smaller than the original OEM one.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Could simply be one of the two hoses shown there, they commonly leak to where you swear the housing is when it's not. Most especially the lower hose. Seen it several times. Looks just like the pic.

The appearance of crack there is only a mold of a relief cut made to get the bolt flat there. Many have that mark.

One either understands that the o-ring can tighten no further than what the bolt goes down to hit solid, or they don't. Any overtighten there is loved by Mr. Ford (more sales!) when you crack the part trying to get the seal tighter when it will NEVER do that, a failure to understand the sealing method used there. The bolts tighten till the hit, then only enough more to make sure they do not come loose. Any further tighten does nothing but break things.

Try another brand o-ring, I've run across some that I did not think were thick enough. Or stat main plate too thin too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts