Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2749 Posts

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, well to spare me the time of retyping it up, and to spare those of you who choose to avoid the backstory time, i'm gonna leave the story
here
moving on.

well as of right now i have:
an MTX75 tranny (with the right bell housing)
a garage to work in (car is already there)
plenty of people to help
and the whole front fascia and hood removed for conveinence.

tomorrow (technically this) morning i'm "talking with my parents" about "college and the car" and so i'm sure my plan will meet some resistance, but w/e. i already have a trans that is waiting to be shipped out (still need to find a place that can receive it). hopefully i can also convince my dad to provide "financial assistance" in the form of "direct payment for my engine".

i'll def keep everyone posted in here. when major work gets done pics will be uploaded accordingly. and if anyone has done a lot of research on this swap and has any comments and/or advice, please share.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
im sure his parents are like mine

"stop putting the car before anything else..."

or

"what are you going to do with your life?...."

im sure their just nagging at him, because they dont WANT him to work on the car, and spend all of his time sitting in school...

well, gl man, make sure you keep us updated on how its going

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm helping with the swap, and last I heard from him, he was leaving for school in like... July. So I'm guessing what he means, "the car and school," is that he needs to get the car done before that :p

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Oh sounds good.. just hate to see people throw a lot of their good years away due to a project or something else that could have waited.

Happened to my girlfriend's father.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What if your job aspirations ARE the car?

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
I just had to give up on a few upgrades, my scholarship coordinator lost my paperwork and I had one day to pay. Anyone want to donate to me? jk. I love the swap I really want to see it complete as well as see the final costs.

Ryan

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'll def keep you guys updated.
and yes i am going to school.

California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo.

for Computer Engineering. and we had the chat, i almost got my mom sold on the swap.

and yes the financial costs are being recorded.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yesssss! good luck bro, will be a sweet Foci when you pull it off!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
totally, the test drives will all be video taped.

·
Registered
441 Posts
School first man, my parents are like... you are spending too much time on the car... or like it has too many problems... lol

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
i see your in northville mi so if you need any help because you have time constraints pm me i also have two friends who are great mechanics (went to school for it) who im sure would love to help in such a build.one built a malibu from a frame and it runs 12s and the other is like a master bodyshop paint guy and i am good at watching.....lol no seriously though if you need it ill help

·
Registered
188 Posts
I tell you what I went to college and drove my Focus the whole time. I received grants to go to college and loans to live on and now I don't really have anything to show for all the damn money I need to pay back. Except my degree of course. Wish I would of spent any extra money I had on the car because now all my money goes to living expenses where as before college took care of a lot of those things for me (food and housing). I'm not saying to not go to college, what I'm saying is do the things you want now because your young and have the chance to do these things without the real world kicking you in the balls every once in a while. I see a blown engine as opportunity. Its great that your parents support you!

I think its sweet to see a V6 go in a focus and I can only imagine twin turbo and AWD being next somewhere in the Foci world! Keep us updated! And don't put a CAI on the V6 unless you by a bypass valve. [burnout]

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got the cams off today, and took the shifter and assorted BS out of the interior.
unfortunately teh head is bolted on with a dealer tool. since none of my torx bits would work, and neither would any of the ones at Murray's. so i'll have to drill out the bolts. (ugh.)
and yes, im getting a bypass valve, as well as avoiding small ponds posing as puddles.

·
Get The Hammer!
1,687 Posts
so did you strip them?

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they're not stripped yet, but they were starting to since the torx i was using was too small. unless someone knows what size i need, im totally lost and will end up just drilling them out.

·
Spin
2,913 Posts
You're deciding to swap an engine/trans in a car rather than going to college?
I guess nobody read the posters Focus rally/drifting story.

If I was running the muddy back fields at night in a Focus taking
"rally vids" and "drifting into people" I also might reconsider college.

1 - 20 of 2749 Posts