Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SVT is in need of some new tires before too long. Right now it has a mis-matched set of crappy Kumho Ecsta AST's on the front and Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra's on the back. I've narrowed it down to these two Conti tires just not sure which one would be better. I do drive this car year round, and we do actually have a winter season where it snows and gets cold here in Santa Fe. I do however,also have my Jeep which I can and will drive on days where the roads may be questionable or the weather may not be so good.

So which would you choose?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the DWS and I love them! I've put about 700 miles on them and they're great. They have SO much grip. Are the DW's just summer tires? because even if you don't drive the focus in the snow its not good for summer tires to be exposed to winter, they're not made for cold.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The DWS is a fantastic tire to use all year round. If there is any chance of driving the car in the winter you will not want to use the DW's as they are a high performance summer tire. If you plan on driving semi-normally and not racing the car then go with the DWS's. They will last longer and you won't be worried about any sort of inclimate weather. I work at a shop and everyone we've sold the DWS's to has been extremely happy with them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was leaning that way as well. I have a co-worker who has had 2 sets of DWS' on his speed 3 and he has been real happy with them. DWS it is, I have heard they have better tread wear as well.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
You live in New Mexico!
Go DW!

I've got DW's on my Focus and love them and I got my cousin DWSes for his car and he loves them too

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
DWS's!

I was leaning that way as well. I have a co-worker who has had 2 sets of DWS' on his speed 3 and he has been real happy with them. DWS it is, I have heard they have better tread wear as well.
I would go w/ DWS's, even thou you have a jeep & you have some snow cause of how high up you are. Tirerack rate's them pretty high.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If that car isn't going to be seeing snow, I 100% recommend the DW. The DWS is a decent tire, but it's loud and squirmy. You'd definitely get better handling out of the DW.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am rocking the DW's on the DPE Nobles right now, great tire, nice performance, and stretched ever so slightly:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Keep in mind that even the colder temperatures will negate any grip that the DW has. The tread compound is more susceptible to temperature changes and will become hard like a plastic in temperatures below 40 degrees.

As far as treadlife goes, expect a good 20,000 miles more out of the DWS at the sacrifice of handling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts