Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer reports Sept 2011 headline: "Civic rolls backwards as Focus moves ahead!"

Anyone seen the new issue of Consumer reports for September? Poor Civic took a beating. Honda went from a 78, down to 61 points. The Focus went up to 74!

Quote" We found the Focus fun to drive and more polished than its predecessor, with the type of agile handling, supple ride, and solid feel that we'd expect from a compact sports sedan."

·
Registered
683 Posts
There you go!!!

Outstanding!
If Ford doesn't want to advertise the new FF much, Consumer Reports and the myriad other reviewers that shower the car with praise will!
[hihi]

·
Registered
671 Posts
Outstanding!
If Ford doesn't want to advertise the new FF much, Consumer Reports and the myriad other reviewers that shower the car with praise will!
[hihi]
I see Ford Focus commercials all over the place. ESPN, ABC, CBS, especially on the spanish channels and over in Europe, forget it, nothing but Ford Focus lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, google september 2011 consumer reports. Thats where i got mine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an online subscription, but the main area where it is compared to other small cars, shows "in testing". However, by searching for 2012 Ford Focus and 2012 Honda Accord, I can see the scores reported by eyeballeater. There is a First Drive article that likes the ride and finish, but knocks the dual clutch transmission and somewhat high price.

The SEL Hatch scored 74, which would place it tied for second behind the Elantra. The SE Sedan scored 68. Neither model had MFT.

Looks like the complete comparison will be available online August 2nd.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'll have to check the mail today, see if my CR is in!
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An article within the article also goes into automated manual transmissions and how more manufacturers are using them. They also say that Fords version is "jerky" at low speeds.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I see Ford Focus commercials all over the place. ESPN, ABC, CBS, especially on the spanish channels and over in Europe, forget it, nothing but Ford Focus lol
I see LOTS of Focus commercials. Perhaps the folks not seeing them are only watching cable.
Seriously? We must be enjoying different media. I'm glad I was wrong, actually. This (minus some first year quirks that'll be worked out) is an excellent automobile that many would do well to purhase. [ffrocks]

·
Registered
215 Posts
Seriously? We must be enjoying different media. I'm glad I was wrong, actually. This (minus some first year quirks that'll be worked out) is an excellent automobile that many would do well to purhase. [ffrocks]
I see several Focus-specific commercials, but only late at night.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This hardly surprises me seeing as how the base civic doesn't even have air conditioning anymore. Heck, just to get stability/traction control and disc brakes you have to go to the highest trim level. This just seems greedy of Honda. Heated seats are nice, but to pair them with a package that gets you NECESSARY (for most) safety features is beyond stupid. And what will that cost you? 21k. The new Focus has all this at 18k. (With the exception of 4 wheel discs)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm quite satisfied with how the SEL hatch did, I was expecting a rating roughly in the mid-70s as opposed to the Golf's 85 considering they'd inevitably complain about rear-seat room and controls (the amount of kvetching they did about the PowerShift is surprising, though, considering they seemed to like it overall in the Fiesta).

A bit disappointed in the SE sedan's score though. 68 isn't bad, but it's only mid pack, and I was honestly expecting the Focus to at least solidly outrank the Cruze (I was also hoping for it to match or beat the Mazda3, and it did, at least, come quite close).

Some other thoughts I posted in another forum:

What's odd about the SE score vs. the SEL is that the only discernible difference I can make out between the two Foci in their rankings is that the SEL had very slightly shorter braking distances, and a higher fit-and-finish rating. Considering the SEL has rear disc brakes and a few more soft plastics, that makes sense, but neither of those things should be enough to boost its score by 6 points, and the trunk rating is actually lower than the sedan's, so I don't think it's the hatchback body style that does it either.

Another annoyance with their ratings: both the controls and the transmission are rated lower than they are in the Fiesta (just good instead of very good), even though as far as I know they're identical in both. The PowerShift shouldn't be any worse, at any rate (from some accounts I hear it's actually been refined a bit in the Focus), though the controls may have rated lower because the Focus (I think) has a somewhat more complicated menu system than the Fiesta.

They also complained about rear seat room (not surprised), though its rating of "good" is better than the Cruze's "fair" and on par with the Mazda3.

Going by how well the Cruze and new Focus have been selling, I'd say rear seat room isn't a very big deal to small-car buyers - or at any rate, buyers seem to think the Cruze and Focus have enough strengths elsewhere to more than offset that particular shortcoming (they're right). I do think Ford needs to either refine the PowerShift or just replace it with a conventional six-speed auto, since it seems to be almost universally slammed (though again I wonder if CR may have dialed up their criticism to follow the herd, seeing as they didn't seem to dislike the same transmission in the Fiesta nearly as much).

Speaking personally, I'd get the manual anyway, and as long as rear seat room is equivalent to the 3's (which it is) it's sufficient for the occasional use it gets, and I found the controls to be straightforward enough in my test drive. So this review wouldn't dissuade me from getting a Focus at all - the fanboy in me would just really like to see the SE sedan rank higher in its class. Maybe when Ford refines the PowerShift, which I think is inevitable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts