Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Consumer reports is unreliable. Wouldn't trust anything they publish.
Agree. Consumer Reports has always favored Japanese imports.
Consumer Reports favors bland boring cars for soccer moms, and guys who drive only to get from point A to point B with the least bother possible..

·
Registered
289 Posts
Consumer Reports named Focus as a most unreliable.. Specifically mentioned is the "transmission" problems.(Fiesta also named unreliable)

So I guess the DCT is dragging it down in the rating. Hope mine is one of the "good" ones. :)

Here is the link to the story but you need to be a member I think.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/10/most-reliable-new-cars/index.htm
As with everyone else on this list, CR's reputation has gone down considerably from where it used to be. I remember growing up, my parents subscribed to it but as time wore on it became apparent that their "top picks" were helped along with a little $$.

CR aside, it's a skewed metric to begin with. Yes, the DCT has a number of problems, but by offering an extended warranty and not a recall, the Focus/Fiesta will always be at the bottom of the reliability list because each DCT repair will further drag down the apparent reliability.

Take the DCT out of it and you've got one of the most reliable vehicles on the road right now.

·
Registered
292 Posts
All the cars I have owned where imports... Only this Ford has brought me to the dealership for issues..

I always thought the Corola or Civic where the best selling cars? In North America at least

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Take the DCT out of it and you've got one of the most reliable vehicles on the road right now.
^ Take the DCT and MFT out and the metrics would be completely different.

Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics are reliable but they are like hair dryers. You take them out of the box and use them for 10 years and then throw them away.

Can't get excited about a hair dryer.

I get excited every time I get behind the wheel of my Focus.

Can't take those out. I'm sure dct and automatic account for more of these cars sales then a manual...
I did. 5 speed manual and no MFT= Reliable and fun to drive.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
CR surveys are, I believe, based on the number of return trips to the dealer to deal with a real or imagined problem. With the "different" characteristics of even a well-behaved DCT along with actual bad clutches, seals and software, one can see the opportunity for many, many dealer vists. Add to that the MyFordTouch issues and it's no wonder.

For the failures in engineering, testing, dealer and customer preparation, the series of half-fixes, etc., I think this is a reputation that Ford absolutely earned. Other than DCT issues and a rattling headliner, mine has been trouble-free and works pretty well now. But it only works well because I've spent more time at the dealer with this thing than with any car I've owned over the last 40 years.

The Focus has a lot of terrific qualities, but if being trouble-free was the only metric, would anyone recommend it as an alternative to a Civic or Corolla?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Lol that's not exactly how it works. But being the most successful selling 'world' car around there seems to be a vastly larger amount of satisfied drivers than not.
Yes, the Focus is arguably the best-selling car in the world. But a) most are sold with manual gearboxes and b) outside North America most automatics are are a completely different DCT than our dry-clutch version. Put the 2012 generation US DCT/engine combo in the hands of, say, German drivers and see how happy they'd be.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just use CR as another metric out if many to judge some things. They are good for appliances and the like. Didn't stop me from buying my Focus. They just seem to put reliability over most other features.

·
Registered
289 Posts
^ Take the DCT and MFT out and the metrics would be completely different.

Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics are reliable but they are like hair dryers. You take them out of the box and use them for 10 years and then throw them away.

Can't get excited about a hair dryer.

I get excited every time I get behind the wheel of my Focus.
I didn't mention MFT because for the most part that's annoyance, not related to actual reliability. Though with how many people take it to the dealer for that, I could see that being included.

With the low gas prices I made the switch to 93 (still with ethanol though [:(]). New tires to boot, and I cannot regret mine..even with the DCT

·
Registered
976 Posts
CR is certainly a reasonable look at reliability..its a datapoint to help make a decision and you should use other data points as well. Are they that far on the tranny? Lots of folks here say they have issues. I think including MFT in this is silly...may be a pain in the @ss but its not a reliability issue. I think they should at least footnote these things with *not including manual transmission or similar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 5 speed, but I drove a Focus rental car where the transmission was a mess. i looked it up and learned about the problems with the early automatics.

As for CR, they poll their readers, so that is where the ratings come from. I typically fill out my survey, but it takes a good bit of time, which always is in short supply

·
Registered
134 Posts
CR surveys are, I believe, based on the number of return trips to the dealer to deal with a real or imagined problem. With the "different" characteristics of even a well-behaved DCT along with actual bad clutches, seals and software, one can see the opportunity for many, many dealer vists. Add to that the MyFordTouch issues and it's no wonder.

For the failures in engineering, testing, dealer and customer preparation, the series of half-fixes, etc., I think this is a reputation that Ford absolutely earned. Other than DCT issues and a rattling headliner, mine has been trouble-free and works pretty well now. But it only works well because I've spent more time at the dealer with this thing than with any car I've owned over the last 40 years.

The Focus has a lot of terrific qualities, but if being trouble-free was the only metric, would anyone recommend it as an alternative to a Civic or Corolla?
I make Die casting parts for Ford and Mopar, so yeah I would recommend them over the parts made in north carolina or the parts made over seas. Hell mopar even accepts shit parts, so best answer is go with FORD.

The DCT has no issues if you have ever driven a manual gearbox and you drive it like you stole it for the first 5-10k. you never ever want to glaze a clutch, and driving it like your [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] corolla will glaze it. drive it like a race car and maybe get a tune and your all set.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i make die casting parts for ford and mopar, so yeah i would recommend them over the parts made in north carolina or the parts made over seas. Hell mopar even accepts shit parts, so best answer is go with ford.

The dct has no issues if you have ever driven a manual gearbox and you drive it like you stole it for the first 5-10k. You never ever want to glaze a clutch, and driving it like your [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] corolla will glaze it. Drive it like a race car and maybe get a tune and your all set.
<redacted>
</redacted>

1 - 20 of 82 Posts