Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Folks, discovered that Consumer Reports had posted their new thoughts on the Ford Focus. Thought I'd share. I disagree on the rear seat and drivetrain. I don't get how magazines test rear seat legroom, as there doesn't seem to be a unique standard (some magazines said the Focus was decent, others reserved for kids). The transmission yes, isn't the most refined at low speeds, but should have smoothed out with the amount of driving the folks over there drove their cars (mine did - @3200 mi right now).

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/.../ford-focus-review/17387256001/1048152115001/

BTW - I didn't know the SE sedan didn't come with trunk lining?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The rear seat is not as tight as the video makes it look. I have fit a 6' 2" person behind me, 5' 10", without them touching my seat. We also normally fit two convertible car seats REAR facing. There is only 1" less room for them as in our '11 Sorento or '06 TL. I can even fit between the car seats for short drives. So there is plenty of room for small families, empty nesters, young people. Salesmen and realtors need to look elsewhere.

My transmission has worked flawlessly. I probably will skip any update from Ford for fear of them screwing it up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I dont understand the complaints about rear seat room either. When I read all the reviews it had me worried about the space. I'm 5'11" and I can sit behind myself comfortably.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dont understand the complaints about rear seat room either. When I read all the reviews it had me worried about the space. I'm 5'11" and I can sit behind myself comfortably.
I'm 6'4" and only a kid is going to sit behind me. Rear set rooms is always relative to the front passenger size.

·
Registered
524 Posts
What a strange review coming from Consumer Reports. I thought they focused too much on the leg room in the back. If I wanted more room in the back I would have purchased a Fusion, it's a compact for Pete's sake.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, the focus loses 3cm in rear leg space to its nearest rival, the golf, and 1cm in rear headroom. hardly worth shouting about...
Chris

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I love how they didn't show off the fold up rear bench seats, considering how much MORE usable space that gives both cars. Haven't had an issue carting around friends thus far with my rear seat room. With a tall driver rear seat room will be very limited in any C-segment sedan, so it's not a fair assessment.

Also, I haven't had any issues with my transmission either and I'm only going on 300mi.

The "feels like its going to stall" is there, very limited, where the car stutters, but that's because it's designed to sit well under 2k RPM to save gas, and I know the car won't stall, so it doesn't bother me.

Overall, I think CS was a little unfair to us considering just how vastly improved this car is compared to the outgoing model.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't understand all the complaints about the transmission, as mine shifts perfectly and never feels like it will stall. Excellent little car!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I noticed the SE Sedan trunk liner missing while I was shopping for my vehicle, and casually passed it off as something the dealer might of done.

As far as legroom is concerned......it's a compact car! At least Ford carved out some of the rear seat back. In addition to the Focus we have a '11 535i, and leg room is still kind of tight in that car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree - - fair criticism on the transmission and rear seat room - - but I still LOVE my new Focus SEL hatch! Great fuel economy makes up for the other small deficiences.

·
Registered
366 Posts
CR complained about the Chevy Cruise rear leg room too. I think they are
confused about which segment our cars are in. Compact car, hello.

Focus rules on fuel efficiency and handling. Not bad for a COMPACT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So when they complained about the Civic's ride and noise, a Civic "fanatic" can say CR forgot what segment the Civic's in; the Civic rules on fuel efficiency (better than Focus), roominess and reliability? Or "if I want good ride and low noise, I would've purchased an Accord. This is a compact for Pete's sake?

CR is a reference. The final numeric score is from the (ever-evolving) perspective of an average American consumer. My preferences are different.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I never put much stock in CR car ratings. They're great at testing televisions, blenders and washing machines, but cars are not their forte. I'll never forget they refused to recommend the BMW e46 M3 because of 'reliability', nevermind the fact that its the greatest sport coupe to ever grace the road since the original in 1988.

I've never felt a stutter or stall feeling in any car I've driven, and the back seat is more than adequate for average sized adults. It's a small car; its not an Audi A8L and its not designed to carry the entire forward line of the Dallas Mavericks

·
Registered
215 Posts
It seems to me that CR doesn't realize that not every car serves the same purpose. Back when I read CR, every single review said that the car needed more power and was too loud.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just because somebody buys a small car doesn't mean they don't care about rear passenger room. CR's complaint about rear room in the Focus is totally valid because compared to other small cars (Elantra, Golf, etc) it has less. The few inches of extra space makes a big difference in this case. I can tell you from fist hand experience that the back seat in my friend's 2011 Elantra feels far more spacious, especially with the front seat pushed back.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"The Focus is fun to drive. The steering is precise and gives good feedback." [driving] To me, this counts a whole lot more than rear seat room.

I drove a 2011 Focus loaner and the rear seat room was a good deal less than the 2012. Depending on individual circumstances, each buyer can determine how important rear leg room is. However, in a compact car, it's not usually going to be a top priority.

I'm more in agreement about the transmission. When backing out of parking spaces or accelerating onto a road, it behaves differently than what I'm used to in an automatic. I don't find it noisy or feel like it will stall, but I can understand the criticism.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just because somebody buys a small car doesn't mean they don't care about rear passenger room. CR's complaint about rear room in the Focus is totally valid because compared to other small cars (Elantra, Golf, etc) it has less. The few inches of extra space makes a big difference in this case. I can tell you from fist hand experience that the back seat in my friend's 2011 Elantra feels far more spacious, especially with the front seat pushed back.
Hi, where does 3cm difference from the golf mean a 'few inches of extra space'? The elantra is known for its interior space, more than the civic, however that's where any superiority ends.
Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
One further thought... Rear leg room is always a compromise with front leg room. I'm tall 6'2" and usually have the drivers seat all the way back. My other car is an 2006 Audi A4 and no one not even a 10 year old can sit behind me with the seat all the way back. I feel like I have more driver leg room in the Focus than I do in the Audi. I can comfortably not have the seat all the way back when I have passengers. I wonder if the reviewers push the seat all the way back when complaining about the rear leg room even though they don't drive it with the driver's seat all the way back.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts