Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Luxury large car: Tesla Model S (base, 85 kWh)

Large car: Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ

Midsized car: Chevrolet Malibu 2LTZ

Luxury midsized car: Lincoln MKZ 2.0 EcoBoost

Muscle car: Ford Mustang GT Premium (V8)

Luxury compact car: Buick Regal Premium I (turbo)

Large SUV: Dodge Durango Limited (V6)

Midsized SUV: Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (diesel)

Wagon: Ford C-MAX Hybrid SE

Full-sized pickups: Ram 1500 Big Horn (diesel)

Sports car: Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 3LT

Small SUV: Ford Escape Titanium (2.0T)

Luxury SUV: Buick Enclave CXL

Compact car: Ford Focus SE SFE sedan

Minivan: Ford Transit Connect XLT (2.5L)

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/highest-scoring-american-vehicles-185740641.html

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
That's the biggest knock against the Focus. Ford got so much of it right with the MK3 Focus, but if they also had the quality/reliability part down, it would've been a knock out of the park.
Yes it is the biggest knock. How does the Mk2 Focus "rate" in quality/reliability studies/surveys/opinions; it is better than the Mk3 Focus?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I love my mk2 and my mk3 as far as reliability goes I think it is excellent, especially since I had a brand new dct installed about 25k ago. Now am at 52k and knock on wood its going great. I love both my foci and wouldn't ever buy another brand or model!!!! Except maybe the rs if it ever appears here :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Seems kind of silly to compare just the domestic brands. They must be trying to get some advertising dollars from the big 3

·
Registered
92 Posts
About CR's rating of the Focus in 2012

That's the biggest knock against the Focus. Ford got so much of it right with the MK3 Focus, but if they also had the quality/reliability part down, it would've been a knock out of the park.
My comments about the Consumer Reports Focus rating from 2012:

I subscribe to Consumer Reports and let's just say I take their ratings with a very large grain of salt.

After reading this thread, I decided to take a good look at CR's review, along with all the user reviews too.

The users seem to mirror what we read here in this forum. MFT and DCT problems mostly. People angry over problems and dealer responses.

But there were many favorable reviews from owners like me who really like the Focus.

The full CR review reflects this too.

In fact, they rave about how well the Focus handles, how refined the car is, and overall give the car very high marks.

But all this hoopla is about is the reliability ratings.

Out of 17 reliability rating categories, only one was average (squeaks & rattles). 10 were rated 5 out of 5 (best possible), and 4 were rated 4 out of 5.
If we stop here, the Focus is way above average in reliability.

But then there are two "much worse than average" (1 out of 5) ratings for "transmission minor" and "audio".

So even though "transmission major" was in the best 5 out of 5 group, these two are responsible for the "much worse than average" final overall rating, and blackballing the Focus.

Are they saying audio and minor transmission problems are more frustrating to live with?

So to sum up, the Consumer Reports actually rates the Focus above average on 14 out of 17 categories, 10 of them the best ranking possible.

But they trash the Focus (and Ford) over 2 "worst" ratings.

I'm off now (in my Focus) to get more salt.

BTW: I no longer subscribe to Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Seems kind of silly to compare just the domestic brands. They must be trying to get some advertising dollars from the big 3
Back in the day MotorTrend had an "Import Car of the Year" and "Car of the Year" which was domestic brands only.

Except back then, the imports were crap that it wasn't fair to compare them to the domestics...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Every car/car maker has it's lemons. I have a 2012 Focus. Bought it in October 2011 so I'm coming up on 3 years ownership soon. Got a tick over 46K on the odometer. So far: Excellent reliability overall so far. No squeeks, rattles or leaks either. Funny how people always put down American cars, yet that's all I've ever owned and have always had good experiences with them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Every car/car maker has it's lemons. I have a 2012 Focus. Bought it in October 2011 so I'm coming up on 3 years ownership soon. Got a tick over 46K on the odometer. So far: Excellent reliability overall so far. No squeeks, rattles or leaks either. Funny how people always put down American cars, yet that's all I've ever owned and have always had good experiences with them.
Glad that you have had good experiences with your cars, but domestic vehicles have always trailed Japanese cars in terms of reliability. That reliability gap has definitely closed in the past decade, which is part of why my Focus is my first domestic car I've owned.

Unfortunately the whole quality part didn't pan out for me as I've already had 2 clutch packs and a TCM replaced, not to mention a sagging headliner and squeaky suspension, all of which I have seen other owners here experience, so they are not isolated issues. Which is too bad because I have enjoyed every other aspect of my Focus.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've had mine (5sp) since May of '12, 44K miles, love it. No problems what so ever.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
From another thread, "Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus > Consumer Reports named Focus as most unreliable..":

... Take the DCT out of it and you've got one of the most reliable vehicles on the road right now.
Emphatically! If CR showed trouble report scores separately for 2014 Focuses with the 5-speed manual transmission they would be better than scores for all but one of Honda's 8 listed 2014 models (Honda Fit) and all but 3 of Toyota's 20 (Camry 4-cyl, Sienna, and Prius). The Focus falls behind those four in the single category that it got less than the top score, "Audio System". Scores for the Focus with an automatic transmission would have been as good as for the manual if Ford had put the same automatic transmission in it as the 2011 (US) model had. It got a "Much better than average" (top) score for 2011.
Consumer Reports does not take "advertising dollars" from anyone.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The non-MFT non-DCT would rate v. high but they never take things like that into consideration.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
How does cr rate the Focus ST? They like the Fiesta ST.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts