Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Steeda SRI on my 2.0 Duratec and I have to clean the MAF every 1-2k miles because my mpg's drop pretty significantly (31 mpg to 26 mpg). Anyone else have this problem? I believe air filter oil is getting sprayed on the MAF sensor. I'm thinking of trying a ricer air filter and see if that fixes the problem.

I've got a big road trip in a few days, so HELP!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never seen a paper air filter that is mounted like the high-performance cone filters are. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to lessen the amount of oil that gets applied to the filter. Maybe spray it with some rubbing alcohol? I'd like to keep the cloth filter because of it's performance gains.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
My Steeda has been on there for about 2k or so...no problems so far. Do you actually see oil or debris on the MAFS?

If so I'd say you're using too much oil on the filter. The cleaning procedure is similar for most cloth filters.....and they say to only use a little oil. You spray some on, and allow it to wick, saturating the whole filter. The process takes a while....like overnight.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't the one that oiled the filter, I just installed it right from the box, it came pre-oiled. I don't see oil all over the MAF, but whenever the fuel milage goes down, I remove the MAF and clean it using CRC MAF Cleaner and my mileage goes back up. I'm thinking I could get one of those K&N Filter cleaners and re-oil the filter myself.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
When I first got my '06 I went through a bunch of MPG testing. After the Steeda install, I was getting right at 28.5mpg. But that was in the summer with about 50% highway driving.

Since then after the weather got colder, my mileage has been very inconsistent.....goes down to about 25 or so if I do mostly city driving. IMHO....going by MPG figures is not a good way to determine a problem. Going down 4mpg between tankfuls may be perfectly normal, depending on how you drove that last 300 miles.

After you clean the MAFS, you may be unconsciously driving easier.....which makes the MPG go back up. I guessing here.....

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about that too, but ever since gas was $4 a gallon, I drive like it still is today. I just find it interesting that after about 1-2k miles, the mpg figures drop without any change in my driving style.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts