Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I replaced the radiator fan resistor on my 02 ZX5 (zetec) because the fans weren't turning on and I had read that the sensor can be a problem. Sure enough, it was rotted out. Spliced in a new one and boom, fans work.

However, whenever the fan is turned on A/C or not, there is a constant but spaced out clicking noise from under the hood. Sounds like the A/C compressor turning on but it happens even sans-A/C.

Any idea what could be the cause of this? The A/C isnt very cold either so its possible its out of R134, but still it happens even without a/c on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Look close at the plastic fan blades, I've seen them come apart and they will move from one fan to the other to fail them both. Overheat city then. Noise is a broken blade stuck in the shroud assembly and other blades still attached hitting it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply, I dont think its a fan blade, it sounds exactly like the compressor clicking on but it happens once every 5 seconds, spaced out. If it was the fan i'd imagine itd be a lot of really rapid clicking right?

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Yes, you didn't detail the frequency. Your thinking is correct. However, what if piece of blade was lodged just right to say hit, rock out out of the way then fall back down to hit again? In a freaky world still possible. I'd look close at blades for all present and then go on.

Bypass the fan controls with a 12 volt jumper wire directly to fans and listen under hood with motor off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts