Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Repaint it liquid gray

Votes: 5 50.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My paintjob is getting pretty beat up now that I've hit 85,000 miles...the front bumper is pretty much gone, the hood is covered in rock chips and there's a bunch of scratches and imperfections all across the rest of the body. The driver's side fender, door and quater panel look like trash because the bodyshop I took the car to when I was in a fenderbender in 2004 did a shitty job at repainting it and then refused to do any further work, and my insurance company refused to follow through on their promise to warranty any work done on the car as long as I own it and keep a policy with them (which was part of the reason why I ditched State Farm.)

So anyways...my girlfriend's dad buys salvage title cars and restores them, and then sells them so he has the equipment to repaint an entire car...meaning I can get my entire car repainted at a fraction of the price I'd pay at a bodyshop. I like my car in black, but I'm thinking if I have it repainted I'd like to do it in liquid gray, which was my first color choice when I was shopping for a Focus. I realize that repainting it a different color will significantly reduce resale (since the internal shell plus the engine bay won't match the outside), but at this point the poor condition of the paint job alone will reduce resale value and I really don't plan on trading it in since I have so much tied into modifications that a dealership wouldn't give a damn about on trade in. Unless there are any other disadvantages to repainting a car a new color, I'll probably have it done in liquid gray.

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you want it liquid grey, I say go for it. Even though the engine bay and shell will be a different color, it's not that bad cause it's black and liquid grey and black go well together. It might acutally look cool with the grey outside and black inside. It would be different if the original color were green or something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
PAINT IT!!

funny though how color wasn't what i was looking for in a focus, only a 5 door hatchback with a manual tranny. with that i got liquid grey, 2.3L, heated seats and mirror, sub in the back and a sunroof. i think i came out pretty good. [rolleyes]

but back to the topic, i wouldn't worry about resale value, as long as your not looking to sell it right after you paint it. and like you said, it will do more good than bad, so you'll probably come out on top as far as resale.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RocFoc said:
Go for comp orange
Competition orange = cop magnet. Plus its not a metallic flake paint, which adds depth to the paintjob and helps disguise small scratches and the like. Which is my biggest gripe with black...every little scuff shows, and the car is only clean while its being washed and maybe for the half hour or so afterwards. Don't get me wrong...I think a clean, waxed black car looks incredible, but its just too much work to constantly keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Solution-

Hood, Roof, Trunk = Black
Everything else = Liquid Grey

That way only the engine bay looks goos black like you did it custom, then you can spedn a whole day masking off the interior to paint the door sills and what not that are still black.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
SkaAddict said:
Competition orange = cop magnet. Plus its not a metallic flake paint, which adds depth to the paintjob and helps disguise small scratches and the like. Which is my biggest gripe with black...every little scuff shows, and the car is only clean while its being washed and maybe for the half hour or so afterwards. Don't get me wrong...I think a clean, waxed black car looks incredible, but its just too much work to constantly keep it that way.
dude I have liquid grey and every scratch shows too, its innevitable (sp?)

the tiny button on the pockets of my jeans scrape every time i get into my car it sucks! plus my back pack plastic straps scratch it too and so does my gf's purse.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've always thought that the SVT would look good in white with blue "boy racer" stripes. I might put the white boy racer stripes on my red SVT.

Although the orignal black parts might really stand out against the white compared to the gray. There's a picture of a white Roush Focus somewhere on FF. I think it looks great. But it has white wheels on it too that kinda accent the whole package.

Go ahead and flame me I've got my fire retardant jammies on.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I like my CD Silver alright, it looks alright even when fairly dirty, shines up decent, and light scratches completely dissapear with wax. Plus, way easy to paint match if you, say, get chips in your hood (autobody paint is made of eggshells or something, I swear).

From a practical standpoint, white is cool, talk about hiding scratches and scuffs.

Sonic Blue is probably the only color, all things considered, I'd take over CD Silver tho.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
So... are you not getting the door jambs done then? I say go with black again. and just be careful when you wash it to not put swirl marks in it

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^
Yes...I'll get the easy to reach spots painted, however I'm not going to pull the engine and everything else out to repaint the engine compartment and I'm not going to gut the interior to repaint it. If its not easily accessable its going to stay black.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Black is the classic cool! Don't go gray, you may want to consider safe guarding your new paint job with a clear bra!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe if there was a clear bra that covered the whole car...no joke, I have scuffs from road debris on the roof that are painfully visible (in addition to elsewhere.) I was mostly curious if there was a major drawback to changing color...such as the old color can show through the new paint, etc. I'm already aware that its not good for resale, but that's not an issue, I'll probably have this car until it falls apart and has to be towed to the junkyard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts