Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with Tom getting out of the turbo business my plans of getting his stage 1 Zetec kit have been foiled, so now I'm thinking about going the route of aggressive N/A. I'd like to hit the 160 (or so) WHP mark, so I'm figuring a FR head to raise compression to 10.5:1 combined with stage 2 cams and a tune. I already have a full exhaust system, and I'm going to be getting a Volant relatively soon. My only concern is, 1) can you go to 10.5:1 with a milled head, or does it require new pistons, and 2)assuming you can, can the stock pistons and connecting rods stand up to 10.5:1?

Also, do I need anything else aside from cams, new head, higher compression and a tune to hit 160 at the wheels (aside from what I already have on the engine; OBX 4-2-1, Borla SVT and 2.5" flex)?

Thanks in advance [thumb]

·
Registered
743 Posts
Your biggest issue might be cams and intake manifold. i recently bought crane III's bumping up from crane II, since my turbo dreams got killed moving to germany. some years back Corey hit 170 whp but he had the FR intake manifold.....your pistons and rods should be fine you not going to be spinning them that much faster.

·
Registered
743 Posts
my set up minus tranny work....volant, 70mm maf, focus central t/b, reworked 2k Intake manifold, pnp head,10.5:1 pistons, bullit rods(for big boost), 1mm oversized valves, crane II's, svt header+orp, 2.25 exhaust. w/o the Header i dynoed at 130hp/140wtq. huge bottle neck thru the stock header. w/ header i dont know yet but it reved like a bike when i give it some gas!

·
Registered
381 Posts
get your head milled 4 thousands that will bring you up about a point in compression

·
Registered
381 Posts
that will only cost 50 bucks at a machine shop then you need a new head gasket~50... you can change your water pump and yout timing belt while your at it. Took me good 2 days to change the head on my car.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
SkaAddict said:
Well with Tom getting out of the turbo business my plans of getting his stage 1 Zetec kit have been foiled, so now I'm thinking about going the route of aggressive N/A. I'd like to hit the 160 (or so) WHP mark, so I'm figuring a FR head to raise compression to 10.5:1 combined with stage 2 cams and a tune. I already have a full exhaust system, and I'm going to be getting a Volant relatively soon. My only concern is, 1) can you go to 10.5:1 with a milled head, or does it require new pistons, and 2)assuming you can, can the stock pistons and connecting rods stand up to 10.5:1?

Also, do I need anything else aside from cams, new head, higher compression and a tune to hit 160 at the wheels (aside from what I already have on the engine; OBX 4-2-1, Borla SVT and 2.5" flex)?

Thanks in advance [thumb]
Get your point of compression by decking the head as mentioned above. The FR head with stage 2s might get you there but I wouldn't dick with 2s, go to 3s. The stock pistons/rods are perfectly fine at 10.6-1.

The biggest thing you will need to change, aside from the head setup is your intake. Get a ported 2000 intake or an aftermarket intake. Try and port match the intake to the ported head. Heavy breathing is necessary on an aggressive NA setup.

It should be mentioned that if you remain peg-legged with that much horsepower that you will have a problem with traction. An LSD wouldn't be a bad idea and since you are in there put the 4.06 gears in.

I had fun building mine up, let me know if you have anymore questions.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My drivetrain is already built...I had Tom drop in a Quaife, 4.06 gears and an aluminum flywheel last May and then I never was able to scrape up enough for the turbo kit.

How streetable is the car with stage 3's? This is (for the time being) my daily driver and I don't want to be laying down a strip of rubber each time I start out from a red light or stop sign.

I'll look into a 2K ported manifold...I plan on going to McNews when I get enough saved up, they're only about six hours away from me.

Thanks all [thumb]

·
Registered
25,630 Posts
Ashley ( zx3chick ) runs a set-up just like you are looking at and makes about 155 to the wheels if I remember, she is running FR2's and they are very streetable, I am sure you can do the 3's, but I believe you have to do valve springs with those, just keep that in mind. Spray a 50 shot on top of all that and you are over 200 WHP easy! The guys at Mcnews tuned zx3chicks car and several others with this set-up, so they are very familiar with what to do. It will be a sweet set-up, especially with the work you already have.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^
If tuned to their optimal settings, and with a head and intake/exhaust system to match you'd probably be putting too much power down for a stock 4F27E...you'd at least need a new torque converter and valvebody. Basically, if you're not going to install the stage 3's with all the other hardware that would let the engine actually use the aggressive grind (and therefore require you to build your transmission), you're better off sticking with a milder-grind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.