Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just venting some of my frustrations as well as looking to get some feedback from some of you guys.

I have a 2014 Ford Fusion that has Ford's Active Park Assist feature which is supposed to parallel park the car completely for you. It takes over the steering while you control the pedals and follow the car's instructions (remove hands from steering wheel, shift to reverse, shift to drive, etc.) until the car is done and perfectly (or so they say) parallel parked.

My car does park itself correctly, occasionally. The majority of the time, this is what it does:

Here's where my frustration comes in. I've taken it into the dealerships (2 different dealers) 4 separate times. They've updated all the software, tested all the sensors, even replaced the parking control module, and at this point in time have had me come pick up the car because they don't know what else to do to fix it, leaving me with a car that doesn't function properly.

While some of you probably might say "first world problems" to this, this feature was one of the main things that attracted me to this car and I gladly paid extra for the option. On top of that, I truly think it's a huge safety concern. Active Park Assist requires the driver to relinquish control of the steering to the car and in my car's case, it hits curbs, stops when it's clearly not finished (leaving the car halfway into traffic), and on multiple occasions has tried to hit the car in front of me. If I hadn't intervened during those occasions, it would've scraped the cars quite badly. If someone other than myself drives the car (valet, family, etc.) and doesn't know the feature is not working properly (as the car displays no fault codes, error messages etc. as the car thinks everything is working properly), there is a huge liability and safety risk for other vehicles, my vehicle, and as well as those driving/in my car and we all know who the fault would end up on if something like that happened (hint: not Ford).

If anyone has any advice/feedback/comments or has even possibly dealt with something similar, your feedback would we welcome as I'm losing my patience with this car (I haven't even mentioned any of the other problems with it).

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Not sure how the system works but, it would seem to me that a Steering Angle Sensor isn't calibrated properly. Or possibly the computer isn't programmed for the correct tire diameter.

Personally, I will not relinquish control of anything that pertains to driving to any computer control. That is Drive-by-wire, electronic steering, etc. My Focus is an old one and still has a cable. I just don't trust a computer to drive my car for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just park the car yourself, but most americans can't even bay park let alone parallel park
How would you feel if your turbo suddenly stopped working on your ST but the engine functioned as a normal 2.0 liter 4 cylinder? You paid extra for that turbo so you'd want it to work correctly, right? You might have even only wanted the ST because of the additional turbo as opposed to the regular Focus without the turbo. See what I'm getting at?

Regardless of my parking abilities, I paid extra for a feature that does not work.

·
Registered
280 Posts
How would you feel if your turbo suddenly stopped working on your ST but the engine functioned as a normal 2.0 liter 4 cylinder? You paid extra for that turbo so you'd want it to work correctly, right? You might have even only wanted the ST because of the additional turbo as opposed to the regular Focus without the turbo. See what I'm getting at?

Regardless of my parking abilities, I paid extra for a feature that does not work.
Oranges to apples, by the way it not just ford that has problem with parallel parking crap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ldLpPehy1k

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That video is insanely old. The Lexus system, aside from being probably the very first car to ever park itself, was camera based which is hugely inaccurate in comparison to today's system used by Ford and other manufacturers.

And no, it wasn't an apples to oranges comparison. When you pay for something, you expect it to work. The end.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll move this to the MkIII section, just because more owners with this option may see it there ("correct' spot is here, might get more views there)

While stopping it to avoid a bump is the driver's responsibility, the video shot seems to indicate not knowing the distance from the curb well.

Tight space, but it sounded like the car measured & accepted the location.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I agree you paid for it, the system should work properly.

Did it ever work well? Did it stop working well at some point?

My take on the issue is: Mechanic has NEVER had to repair such a system, and knows squat about it. At any dealer.
I would bet nearly any Ford dealer in the USA, if a mechanic is asked: Have you diagnosed serious problems with the self parking system on the Focus? The answer would be a resounding NO. I would also bet not ONE dealer has had a mechanic trained in how to service that system, nor any training how to repair them. Period.
=============

A story i remember from my parents AMC Marlin.(yes back when it was a brand new car) One of the first American Motors Corp cars with disc front brakes.
The brakes 'banged' each time they were used.. Took it in: verdict no problem. Took in again.. no problem. Finally (and lucky lucky my Mother was driving it) one front caliper came right off. The bolts holding the caliper bracket came off. The mechanics did not even know they existed. (she stopped the car with the hand brake.)
The mechanics NEVER had seen disc brakes before and had no clue how to fix them and no clue how to inspect them.

So my story is telling you the mechanics do not have a clue WTF they are looking for, looking at, or doing with the self parking. They get the car and stand there hold the bag. No clue how to really Do anything, except guess, and throw part at it.
They never have worked on one, and never solved ANY problems with them ever. They are clueless.

I suggest getting the Ford Zone rep involved and demand they get someone who is CAPABLE of diagnosing and fixing the issue. Instead of guys throwing parts at it. [cheers]

So YOU have been the guinea pig so far. Time for that to change.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I I've taken it into the dealerships (2 different dealers) 4 separate times. They've updated all the software, tested all the sensors, even replaced the parking control module, and at this point in time have had me come pick up the car because they don't know what else to do to fix it, leaving me with a car that doesn't function properly.
As someone with the park assist (one of the features that sealed the deal on Focus for us), I'm definitely appreciating your frustration. It's a pretty sweet feature, and the haters obviously haven't had a car with it.[thumb]

From your video above, it looked like the parking assist kicked out when performing some pretty serious steering wheel movement. From your description above, it doesn't sound like the dealership looked at the steering system at all. Have you noticed any weirdness in the power steering while driving, particularly when (for example) performing a parallel park manually or some other maneuver when you go lock-to-lock? Something may be glitching in that system (or, as iminhell suggested, the steering position sensor).

Doing a little Google searching, the Fusion EPAS has been known to have problems, so it's probably worth looking there. Also, as suggested, getting higher support from a Ford rep is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My take on the issue is: Mechanic has NEVER had to repair such a system, and knows squat about it. At any dealer.
I would bet nearly any Ford dealer in the USA, if a mechanic is asked: Have you diagnosed serious problems with the self parking system on the Focus? The answer would be a resounding NO. I would also bet not ONE dealer has had a mechanic trained in how to service that system, nor any training how to repair them. Period.
Are you saying that the average Ford dealer mechanic has no classroom training to keep them up to date with the technology used in various Ford vehicles?

If you truly believe that, why on earth would you buy a vehicle from such an incompetent company?

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
That seems like a bit of a tight space to even try to parallel park manually. Just my observation.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
^ don't the cars with park assist assess the space to determine if the car will fit before committing to the attempt?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree you paid for it, the system should work properly.

Did it ever work well? Did it stop working well at some point?

============

I suggest getting the Ford Zone rep involved and demand they get someone who is CAPABLE of diagnosing and fixing the issue. Instead of guys throwing parts at it. [cheers]

So YOU have been the guinea pig so far. Time for that to change.
As far as it working well, it does work about half the time, if I'm lucky, which is what makes it even stranger because it's not like it's constantly off. However, it does do it frequently enough where catching it video multiple times (as I've done) isn't a problem.

Unfortunately, I've had the regional manager involved since the 2nd (out of 4) service visit and this is where we're at today.

As someone with the park assist (one of the features that sealed the deal on Focus for us), I'm definitely appreciating your frustration. It's a pretty sweet feature, and the haters obviously haven't had a car with it.[thumb]

From your video above, it looked like the parking assist kicked out when performing some pretty serious steering wheel movement. From your description above, it doesn't sound like the dealership looked at the steering system at all. Have you noticed any weirdness in the power steering while driving, particularly when (for example) performing a parallel park manually or some other maneuver when you go lock-to-lock? Something may be glitching in that system (or, as iminhell suggested, the steering position sensor).

Doing a little Google searching, the Fusion EPAS has been known to have problems, so it's probably worth looking there. Also, as suggested, getting higher support from a Ford rep is probably a good idea.
I've never had any issues with my power steering as far as I know. The only "weird" thing it does is when lock to lock, like while making a uturn, it will turn a little farther as you pick up speed and as you come to a stop locks again at the previous position. I'm not sure if this is a problem however as I've always assumed it was a feature to help clear tight spots or uturns.

^ don't the cars with park assist assess the space to determine if the car will fit before committing to the attempt?
Correct, if the car determines the spot is too small for the car to park itself in it won't even acknowledge that a spot is available (by displaying the check mark and then prompting you to stop at a certain point).

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I will say it "first world problem". Learn to park by yourself - it's faster and safer. If you do not know how to park, I am sorry, but you do not know how to drive.

Yes, you paid extra for it but it's technology. It can fail sometime. Nothing is 100% accurate in success rate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will say it "first world problem". Learn to park by yourself - it's faster and safer. If you do not know how to park, I am sorry, but you do not know how to drive.

Yes, you paid extra for it but it's technology. It can fail sometime. Nothing is 100% accurate in success rate.
When did I ever say I relied on this feature to park because I'm incapable of parallel parking a vehicle on my own?

It's a convenience feature, just like navigation, but surely you would never purchase a car with that (even though your Ti likely has it) because you know, paper maps are MUCH more reliable.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
That seems like a bit of a tight space to even try to parallel park manually. Just my observation.
That's the first thing I thought.

It should.

I've never had an issue with my car doing this (and I live in the city and have pretty much use the parallel park feature daily for 3 years) - the worst it's ever done is in really tight spots I'm a little further from the curb, but that's a perfectly understandable outcome. My car doesn't leave me parked on an angle - in fact, it usually wants me to make a 27 point turn until the car is completely straight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, that is exactly my point. On occasion, my car will do what you describe but that is rare. Usually it does what it does in the videos I've posted.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Are you saying that the average Ford dealer mechanic has no classroom training to keep them up to date with the technology used in various Ford vehicles?

If you truly believe that, why on earth would you buy a vehicle from such an incompetent company?
I am saying dealers are not going to send mechanics to training unless they get the volume of work to compensate for that. And the sort of dealer mechanic who DO get training are typically only the very best, most loyal guys in the shop. And those guys are getting training in the main stuff they see all the time. So 99% of dealers mechanics do not get training in oddball shit no one* (*the dealer paying for it) cares about. Period.
The dealer has to pay for that stuff. And I doubt very much that many would send a guy to get training on parking assist. Then, the fact one went to one class one time does not make them qualified to diagnose difficult issues with an obscure system two years later. Especially since inbetween they had not contact with any problems like it at all.

I am saying in the real world, Ford mechanics are not going to classes for oddball systems every month and getting refresher courses ..
And yes I am capable of holding two opposing thoughts. The fact Ford mechanics do not get state of the art training and refresher classes all day long does not bother me much/

Since I am not willing to pay Ferrari repair prices.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I am saying dealers are not going to send mechanics to training unless they get the volume of work to compensate for that. And the sort of dealer mechanic who DO geet training are typically only the very best, most loyal guys in the shop. And those guys are gettingtraining in the main stuff they see all the time. So 99% of dealers mechanics do not get training in oddball shit no one cares about. Period.
The dealer has to pay for that stuff. And I doubt very much that many would send a guy to get training on parking assist. Then, the fact one went to one class one time does not make them qualified to diagnose difficult issues with an obscure system two years later. Especially since inbetween they had not contact with any problems like it at all.

I am saying in the real world, Ford mechanics are not going to classes for oddball systems every month and getting refresher courses ..
And yes I am capable of holding two opposing thoughts. The fact Ford mechanics do not get state of the art training and refresher classes all day long does not bother me much/

Since I am not willing to pay Ferrari repair prices.
I believe they have a hot line where they can call and ask for help. Volvo has that.

When did I ever say I relied on this feature to park because I'm incapable of parallel parking a vehicle on my own?

It's a convenience feature, just like navigation, but surely you would never purchase a car with that (even though your Ti likely has it) because you know, paper maps are MUCH more reliable.
No, I do not have navigation and I won't pay for this option unless this is free. I have Google Maps and I learn the path in my mind before I go somewhere I do not know.

I understand the fact that you can park your car yourself, then why paying $$ for this feature ? It's only saving you 1 minute of your day at the expanse of a part breaking, or wrost, not working as designed. This part I don't get it. It's like saying the main door at my house open by itself when I show up and enter the command. [dunno]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts