Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't actually have a Focus, yet, but I'm strongly considering a 2014 SE hatchback with the 6-speed "automated manual" transmission.

So...what's not great about them? Nothing's perfect, but I really liked it. I just want to know what to expect. These transmissions are pretty new, right? Any common problems? Anything particular to the 2014 model year or the third gens to watch out for?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to becoming an active member with a new Focus, hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow! :)

·
Ph00ked bey0nd belef
6,279 Posts
[welcome]

Im not a MK III owner, Im back in the dark ages of Focid0m.

I've not heard anything bad about the newer Foci. You could lurk around the MK III section and see what might be symptomatic of if anyone is asking hard questions about functionality, usually the performance section in there will tell you loads about whats good and whats not so.

Hope that helps you out. Be prepared to do some semi heavy reading! [;)]

C'ya around Sir and I like your car color choice!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a 2012 SEL hatch. Some folks have had complaints about the manumatic/dual clutch transmission (DCT) on the early 2012 model, which was the debut of the MK III. It was apparently a issue with the on-board computer inputs to the trans causing weird shifting. The fix was an update re-flash of the computer. I personally have not had any concerning issues with my SEL, and it is an early production one. I would think any bugs with regard to this would be a non-issue today. A search on the forum should confirm. FYI, a DCT by nature will not act "exactly" like a fluid auto trans. It is a different animal; a hy-bred between a manual and old school auto. I personally like the options it gives you of normal auto,sport auto, or sport/toggle override; depending on the situation, or my mood.[hihi] Hope this helps and welcome!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your responses...there is definitely quite a bit of reading to be done. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next couple of days [:p]

·
Registered
620 Posts
Only comes in a 4 door model! [thumbd]

·
Registered
530 Posts
I bought a 2012 se hatch with dct beginning of july. I've put right at 5000 miles on it and have no complaints. 67k on the car. No random vibrations or rattles, seems to be solid built.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Don't worry, be happy.

... Anything particular to the 2014 model year or the third gens to watch out for? ...
If you want to lower a 2014, the aftermarket front springs made for the 2012 or 2013 won't fit without changing struts, too. I'm speculating (and, as the owner of a 2014, hoping) that Ford changed the struts and springs to eliminate the noises some earlier cars have had. If that's the case then putting in the older parts might make those noises more likely. If my guess is right, then we shouldn't be bothered by at least some of those noises with an unmodified 2014.

... I likely have the improved/fixed DPS6 and don't need to worry about this?
You don't need to worry. You'll either have problems or won't, and worrying won't change that either way.

It's easy to get a negative impression from what you read here because people who are having problems are more likely to take the time to write about them, and to be more emphatic when they do, than owners who are not having problems (with a few exceptions). Odds are that your new Focus will be fine, but only Ford knows what those odds actually are, or what changes they have made to improve them. There are also indications that those odds are much worse with a Mk3 DCT than with other cars (manual trans or other brands).

Since there are fewer 2014s on the road than the earlier model years, only time will tell how many of them will be affected by the same problems seen in earlier models, or what new problems they'll have. (The "fix" for one problem can easily create new ones of its own, especially in software.) None of the many cars I've owned has ever been completely trouble-free, so I don't think either of our new Focuses will be any different. At least I'll have a better idea what to do about any problems since I found this site.

... there is definitely quite a bit of reading to be done. I guess I know what I'll be doing for the next couple of days [:p]
Heh heh heh. [:)] Don't be surprised if that couple of days turns into something bigger. I came here to do some "homework" before buying a new car over two years ago and I'm still catching up. Not only is there "quite a bit" to read, but this place is also addictive. There are more interesting people, converations, and topics on this site than I had ever imagined when I first found it. Happy reading -- and driving. [driving]

PS - you bought the best looking color available for 2014 IMO. [thumb]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts