Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
__________/\__
2,135 Posts
$250 for a part you really can't see and has a negligible effect?
You guys want to buy some throttle body spacers? I can get you a good deal. lol
More like 5 bucks for the piece they are talking about shown below. The expensive piece is the Ford racing intake and its effects are not negligible.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm just thinking, maybe I'll just make do with no flap cutting or folding? Notice how the flaps are already "cut" in the middle and slightly to the left already? That void should fill that cavity with enough fresh air, and no cutting would also help with less debris and dirt entering. Snorkel delete doesn't NEED flap cutting yeah, to see gains with a drop in K&N?

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my experience, MK3 Focus engine noise is quite sensitive to the intake system design. Introduction of ST scoop increased "throaty" note of the engine. I know that some will definitely like that and may install the scoop just for this reason.

I am the opposite - the quieter the engine the better. So I added the snorkel back, and carefully plugged all intake system gaps (those not intended to be open) with silicone. I did this inside the air filter box as well to make sure air comes inside only through the snorkel. Now I hardly hear the engine sound while coasting, even with very quiet Micheline Premiere A/S tires.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
More like 5 bucks for the piece they are talking about shown below. The expensive piece is the Ford racing intake and its effects are not negligible.
I can see adding that for a finished look but that overpriced Ford part is a joke for $250 and what is "not negligible"? I can't see that part really adding real world HP gains vs the $5 part. I'd love to see a dyno with a snorkel delete vs that fancy inlet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2013 ford focus with 50k on it. I did the Snorkel Delete with a K&N air filter. I live at 9800 feet if that makes a difference or not where it snows about 7 months out of the year...

My friend who works for ford at the service counter who isnt the brightest person in the world told me removing the snorkel will reduce my mpg and snow/water will get into my engine... is there any truth to this?
Im running K&N's Typhoon CAI kit on my 2013 SE with snorkel delete as well as shutter system delete, I'm located in Alberta and have been through every road condition since the mods, aside from cleaning my filter more than i'd like and avoiding idiots driving through large puddles beside you I dont see anything to fear.
The sound, responsiveness and power are very apparent on my car.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is not even remotely close to how it's supposed to be installed, did you hack it up to fit it there? Any pics from under the hood to show how you did it?
I printed it. Chopped out stock emblem crosspiece. Enlarged opening to fit large mouth snorkel. Keeps out of way of shutters. Put k&n back in because green filter opened end of airbox. Made grill from gutter cover from home depot. 3 inch emblem from Ford ranger pickup. Seems to help with throttle response.

I have thread with grille and hood mod somewhere on here and posted 3d snorkel step model for printing.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
I printed it. Chopped out stock emblem crosspiece. Enlarged opening to fit large mouth snorkel. Keeps out of way of shutters. Put k&n back in because green filter opened end of airbox. Made grill from gutter cover from home depot. Emblem from Ford ranger pickup. Seems to help with throttle response.

I have tread with grille and hood mod somewhere on here and posted 3d snorkel step model for printing.
Seems how your upper radiator cowl is cut and open, can't you just take a close-up picture of it, showing the installation with the hood up?

·
Registered
140 Posts
2016-03-12 19.07.03.jpg
focus 2012 cut.jpg
focus 2012 front.jpg

I'll post the pic of the snorkel bolt on tomorrow when light. I made the snorkel opening wider and taller and shortened the model before I printed. I used to have the top cowel cut to get air in from snorkel delete. I'll pop rivit a cover over the hole that will double as access door as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cons: Extra intake noise. No real change/improvement in actual horsepower or fuel mileage.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
2016-03-12 17.54.12.jpg

Thanks. I like it much better than the stock. The gutter cover from home depot was a bit sketchy, but ultimately looks cool I think. I need to get the hood gel protector so I can finish hood without altering stock hood. I ordered focus 2011 model because it doesn't have the emblem cutout. I will say, after the snorkel the motor hesitation from idle and slow backups went away. Throttle response doesn't have that second gear motor bog anymore. Not sure if it is just a coincidence.

I saw on some site that People are using these whirlpool AC exhaust vents to make intakes for street rods. It looks like it is roughly the same size, although may need to be cut. Exhaust Duct 5304447489 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

I was lucky and had access to 3d printer, the cheapest I could find on line to print the snorkel was $105.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Pages & pages to describe that in threads over in the Performance Mods section for your engine.

ST stock shortie is often used for looks, even though it can't be seen. Longer optional type has often been used as well.

This thread got left here because it STARTED with a general question on possible issues (none really) then went OT to become just another snorkel thread.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts