Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 ford focus with 50k on it. I did the Snorkel Delete with a K&N air filter. I live at 9800 feet if that makes a difference or not where it snows about 7 months out of the year...

My friend who works for ford at the service counter who isnt the brightest person in the world told me removing the snorkel will reduce my mpg and snow/water will get into my engine... is there any truth to this?

·
__________/\__
2,136 Posts
I have a 2013 ford focus with 50k on it. I did the Snorkel Delete with a K&N air filter. I live at 9800 feet if that makes a difference or not where it snows about 7 months out of the year...

My friend who works for ford at the service counter who isnt the brightest person in the world told me removing the snorkel will reduce my mpg and snow/water will get into my engine... is there any truth to this?
It should not hurt your fuel economy. You are basically removing a restriction in the intake system. When you perform the snorkel delete in conjunction with the K&N drop in oiled cloth filter, forum moderator dyn085 has confirmed up to 8 hp increase and improved throttle response.

As for water getting into the intake, I would think it would take a major deluge for water to get in. Keep in mind that the Focus ST does not have the restrictive snorkel at all. It only has the small venturi in the picture below and I haven't heard of anybody having water in their intake. In fact, I would recommend adding the ST air inlet if you remove your factory snorkel. I overlayed the Ford part number on the picture of the ST air inlet.

The only con of the snorkel delete is a slightly louder intake noise but I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes i actually have already removed the snorkel for the past week now plus added the KN and i can confirm i have a much easier time gettign up my hill. I have to climb 2000 feet everyday to come home and with the upgrade I barely have to push the gas

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It should not hurt your fuel economy. You are basically removing a restriction in the intake system. When you perform the snorkel delete in conjunction with the K&N drop in oiled cloth filter, forum moderator dyn085 has confirmed up to 8 hp increase and improved throttle response.

As for water getting into the intake, I would think it would take a major deluge for water to get in. Keep in mind that the Focus ST does not have the restrictive snorkel at all. It only has the small venturi in the picture below and I haven't heard of anybody having water in their intake. In fact, I would recommend adding the ST air inlet if you remove your factory snorkel. I overlayed the Ford part number on the picture of the ST air inlet.

The only con of the snorkel delete is a slightly louder intake noise but I like it.
The ST from @suss6052 looks like it has a different snorkel... IDK I'm not sure if it's only the air inlet you're talking about

Picture belongs to @suss6052

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The ST from @suss6052 looks like it has a different snorkel... IDK I'm not sure if it's only the air inlet you're talking about

Picture belongs to @suss6052
That's the Ford racing CAI for the Focus ST, my car originally had the smaller snorkel without the NVH reducing L section.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22758

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-9603-FST.pdf

It is designed for the ST front fascia, although it technically would work for the N/a also to bring the intake to the grille.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
For folks removing the stock snorkle but NOT cutting up the front air dam I would expect zero issues with water.

For the folks who have decided to cut openings into the front air dam or the hood chassis rubber seal plus cut a hole in the plastic cover over where the snorkle had resided.. Those folks IMO yes sooner of later a big rainstorm plus them driving through it is going to cause the intake to be sucking in a LOT of water.
Probably not enough to cause engine failure. But maybe enough to throw a check engine light.
(Naturally this is all guessing, and not actual event such as this has been reported by anyone)

My experience with just the Stock snorkle removal, and using a free flow K&N has been excellent. I am very happy.
Add in using 93 octane gas all the time and it is a wonderful responsive car..

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
What's the diff between the ST inlet rubber piece and leaving the OEM piece in place. I removed the snorkel and the big rubber shroud but left the inlet piece going into the intake.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

You're in my favorite place in the world! I took this photo (and an entire series of them) when I was out there in April. I wouldn't be surprised if you know my brother from another mother, Jeff C. He's the property manager at Gold Camp.

Anyway, not really anything at all to be concerned about with doing the snorkel delete.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The ST inlet piece is really just 'eye candy' but more in the vein of knowing you have a little piece of ST in your car.
The opening with nothing on it is just as good as adding on the ST inlet piece.
If you cut up the snorkle part to separate the long nozzle from the shroud which fits on the frame.. no problem there either.
The ST part really is just to be able to brag in some tiny way... LOL

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts

There is no truth to it whatsoever. I ran the snorkel delete for nearly 36k miles (through downpours, car washes, etc.) with the cut lower flap and never once saw any moisture in the box. The cut flap isn't necessary for the gains, so if you're concerned just remove the snorkel and leave everything else OEM. Even if you removed the shroud entirely, water would have to travel vertically ~3" to get into the tract.
What's the diff between the ST inlet rubber piece and leaving the OEM piece in place. I removed the snorkel and the big rubber shroud but left the inlet piece going into the intake.
Assuming you're talking about the ST CAI piece, it's much larger than the OEM snorkel. If you're talking about the rubber piece that attaches to the radiator support-it's the same.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's the Ford racing CAI for the Focus ST, my car originally had the smaller snorkel without the NVH reducing L section.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22758

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-9603-FST.pdf

It is designed for the ST front fascia, although it technically would work for the N/a also to bring the intake to the grille.
Does this fit into the NA Focus without modification (besides removing the snorkel)? Or do you need to remove/cut the shroud to get the CAI 'snorkel' down to the grille?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Does this fit into the NA Focus without modification (besides removing the snorkel)? Or do you need to remove/cut the shroud to get the CAI 'snorkel' down to the grille?
Since you have to cut the shroud per the directions from Ford racing and the shroud is basically the same bit of plastic and rubber on both cars you would need to either cut it or remove it for the Ford Racing ST intake CAI kit to fit on the car. It may be partially blocked on the N/A although I've heard of one or two others who have installed it on here, and they said it worked ok.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are you freakin' kidding me? $299 MSRP for a K&N type filter and that lengthened snorkel. I did the snorkel delete, added the ST air inlet ($3) and I already had the K&N. I also cut the shroud, an oval hole in the radiator support cover & trimmed the hood seal directly in front of the hole that is in front of the ST inlet. For $299 do you think that Ford Racing one adds any more power/driveability/response?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Are you freakin' kidding me? $299 MSRP for a K&N type filter and that lengthened snorkel. I did the snorkel delete, added the ST air inlet ($3) and I already had the K&N. I also cut the shroud, an oval hole in the radiator support cover & trimmed the hood seal directly in front of the hole that is in front of the ST inlet. For $299 do you think that Ford Racing one adds any more power/driveability/response?
First of all almost no one is paying $299 as there are many dealers/ vendors offering it for around $175 or less, and there have been frequent group buy deals for under $160. The filter alone is going for $56.99+ on Amazon right now

http://www.amazon.com/E-2993-High-Performance-Replacement-Filter/dp/B001C4SLOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407076218&sr=8-1&keywords=e-2993

http://www.trueblueracingparts.com/2013-2014-FOCUS-ST-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-KIT_p_362.html

As far as getting colder air to the box it does work. Now it's up to each person to decide if it's worth it to them, but if you have an ST and planned on going with the Ford Racing Pro-cal tune it's a requirement.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Still too much. I know the price of the K&N type filters. If you round it off to $60 that still leaves $100 for that plastic snorkel even at the group buy rate of $160. Does it make (much) more than the 8 hp cited by Dyno85 for the "snorkel delete w/ low restriction filter? Craziness!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
And I guess that snorkel doesn't have a Ford part number?
It has a separate Ford Racing part number, but is not available outside the kit. M-9A624-FST is the specific part number, but it's only available as part of the M-9603A-FST kit

·
Registered
254 Posts
The only thing to keep in mind is that down the road if you have to have an emissions test, your car will automatically fail if the air intake has been modified. Keep all the original parts for testing later on. It is not that it actually gives off more emissions, it is just the rule in AZ. If they see it is changed from stock it automatically fails and they do not even do the emission test. Much the same as having the check engine light on.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The only thing to keep in mind is that down the road if you have to have an emissions test, your car will automatically fail if the air intake has been modified. Keep all the original parts for testing later on. It is not that it actually gives off more emissions, it is just the rule in AZ. If they see it is changed from stock it automatically fails and they do not even do the emission test. Much the same as having the check engine light on.
Unless they know what to look for removing the snorkel does not show up at all and is outside of the air intake system. It's only function is for NVH reduction.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts