Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching around on here and a few sites, I was looking for and wondering who makes forged insides aside for cosworth for the 2.3s and 2.0s I plan on boosting when i get back from Iraq, and i'd like to have built motor...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Supertech and FocusSport will do pistons, eagle will do rods.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Crower also makes rods, and would be better quality than Eagle rods IMO. You might want to ask someone who knows better, but I think that the rods and pistons are the same between both Duratec 4 cyl and (puts on a crazy face) Ford actually made two different blocks to account for the difference between the strokes.

Before you go thinking I'm nuts: Ford did this before with the 302 (8.995" deck) and 351W (9.5" Deck). You'd think that they could reduce manufacturing costs by producing one block, but that's how Ford does things.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd be kinda curious to know if 2.0 and 2.3 rods and pistons are the same? To increasee displacement would the throw on the crank be greater in a 2.3??? I was always under them impression the a 2.3 was a bored and stroke 2.0.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same bore, higher deck height on the 2.3 block gives it its .3 greater displacement.

But here is my thought; if the distance the piston travels is increased, wouldn't the crank have to be different also in order to let the piston travel farther?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Not if a slightly longer rod is used.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
According to my Helms manual the rods are the same for both motors. The pistons are the same bore, but I don't know the CD of the pistons without measuring- and I don't have a motor apart to measure. I'm going to see if I can locate an ST motor for the wagon to tear apart during my off time this year if finances permit.

For those who asked, yes the crankshaft throw (stroke) is different between the D20 and D23. If the blocks were the same, then either the D23 rod or piston would be shorter. If you really want to know for sure what fits, call Cosworth, and be sure to tell them that you have a US Duratec 2.0 since the Zetec was called a Duratec in Europe.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I can get measurements of a 2.3l rod if needed. I have 4 right now, and will have 4 more soon.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Tom said it was 6.101, the Helms manual lists the rods as 6.094. Center to center of course.

I have given some thought to building the D20 because I wouldn't have to replace the crank- etc, but I scrapped the idea because the D23's will always make more power with more displacement. Also, it seems as if the bigger motor gets better fuel economy. Also there's the consideration that the pistons are probably not the same, although once again, the Helms manual shows no difference between the two. The CD would be the difference, and there's nothing like that listed here just like deck height is not listed.

The stroke is listed with 83.1 mm for the D20 and 94mm for the D23.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I dont think the 2.3 is a bored 2.0 because you have an option to bore the 2.3 to a 2.6, which in this case would make the cylinder walls really thin, but the 2.0 can only go to a 2.3 i think....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts