Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I sort of wanted the extended warranty.
However the dealer i wanted to buy it from locally.
I bought the car 60 miles away. At the time of sale they convinced me to go for it as it was in the financing.
So i did, but i do not even know what i bought. $1,400 plus of what?
So i wonder do i have a thirty day period i can just cancel it?
And ifI do cancel it, can I then buy it at another dealer later?
I either want to increase the mileage at the original dealer, and find out other options, like same day rental. or, cancel it.
I had to drive there, bought the car, and all without a lot of preplaning about the extended warranty.
I feel stupid. And I may just drive up to the dealer to talk about it to them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok I sort of wanted the extended warranty.
However the dealer i wanted to buy it from locally.
I bought the car 60 miles away. At the time of sale they convinced me to go for it as it was in the financing.
I either want to increase the mileage at the original dealer, and find out other options, like same day rental. or, cancel it.
I had to drive there, bought the car, and all without a lot of preplaning about the extended
I feel stupid. And I may just drive up to the dealer to talk about it to them.
$1400 for what length/time/level/deductible?

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
Warranties are high profit items for dealerships. That's why they push them so much. (In fact, warranties in general are high profit items. Go to a Best Buy or shop there online and you'll see different offers for extended warranties on every product.) People rarely get their money back or come out ahead. I would only get it if you are "poor"; where a several hundred dollar repair is something you would not be able to handle.

But as a side note, if that was the case, you shouldn't have bought a brand new car, focus or not. Also, what is the chance of major repairs needing to be done within the warranty period?

When I bought my SVT new, I bought an extended warranty and came out ahead but I was lucky. It doesn't happen too often.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I love Ford's ESP.

I've had a Ford ESP on my last three cars. On my 06 ST Focus I negoiated the 6 year/100,000 mile/$100 deductable in the purchase. Right now I'm working on getting four structs replaced under warranty. I wouldn't buy anew car without an ESP. I would only buy a Ford ESP as other third party companies have either had problems or gone out of business.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Elizabeth, it sounds like you do most of your own work so I would suggest dropping it if you can. I've never had a vehicle need anything other than maintenance items. Understandably there's exceptions to the rules, but my personal opinion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Check your contract, it should say on there what you got.

Some say extended warranties are a waste of money, some say it saves them money. I wouldn't purchase a vehicule without an extended warranty because of the experience I've had with having to fix my car constantly after the car's 3/60 warranty ran out. The cost of my extended warranty paid itself out many time. My warranty paid for, axles, 02 sensors, camshaft seal, head gascet twice! starter... I can't remember it all. Yes I'll admit I thought the car was a pure lemon but that's just my thought.

I had bought my extended warranty from the dealer not knowing about the FordESP online offers. With my dealer, I get zero deductible, with FordESP, you pay $100 deductible. I much prefer the zero decductible simply because it will cost at least $100 just for the diagnostics and if they have to put it on there 4 times, well it pays for the difference of the two offers.

You will learn lots from this Forum. I wish I had known about way before July. I would have been more prepared to make my purchase.

Can you cancel your contract with your dealer? I would think the best way to find out would be to contact them and see.

I felt the same as you when I bought the warranty but today I am happy with the extra purchase.

Next time I will research EVERYTHING. Good luck to you and be happy. You got the best new car ever :)!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check your contract, it should say on there what you got.

Some say extended warranties are a waste of money, some say it saves them money. I wouldn't purchase a vehicule without an extended warranty because of the experience I've had with having to fix my car constantly after the car's 3/60 warranty ran out. The cost of my extended warranty paid itself out many time. My warranty paid for, axles, 02 sensors, camshaft seal, head gascet twice! starter... I can't remember it all. Yes I'll admit I thought the car was a pure lemon but that's just my thought.

I had bought my extended warranty from the dealer not knowing about the FordESP online offers. With my dealer, I get zero deductible, with FordESP, you pay $100 deductible. I much prefer the zero decductible simply because it will cost at least $100 just for the diagnostics and if they have to put it on there 4 times, well it pays for the difference of the two offers.

You will learn lots from this Forum. I wish I had known about way before July. I would have been more prepared to make my purchase.

Can you cancel your contract with your dealer? I would think the best way to find out would be to contact them and see.

I felt the same as you when I bought the warranty but today I am happy with the extra purchase.

Next time I will research EVERYTHING. Good luck to you and be happy. You got the best new car ever :)!
You can get the FordESP with $0 deductible also, 7yr/125k/0/premium is $1,800 $50 premium is 1400

I think I'll be going for the 7yr/100K/$50 @ 965

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just cancelled mine about a week ago as you have thirty days in which you can get a full refund. They will try and talk you into keeping it but stick to it and they have to issue you the full amount back. The refund will not be a check or cash but instead applied to the loan payoff amount assuming you financed, Your payment per month will stay the same but you will just end up paying it off sooner. See the finance people as they are the ones that get this done and all you need to do is fill out a one page sheet or just sign it if they are nice enough to fill it out for you.

I got hit for a very large amount and didn't think of purchasing it on the net from another dealer. What bothers me about this is you buy a 7 year plan and it covers you from the first day of vehicle ownership. What happen to the warranty you got with the car, Well you just paid for the first three years as well. If you ask for a pro-rated refund later they deduct from the first day and not the 3 year mark as they should. I just did that with the GM extended warranty and I paid $975.00 for it and with half the warranty left I got back $144.00. Pretty crappy return if you ask me.

Anyway your call if you want to cancel it and if it is really worth it to you, If Ford can fix my tranny issue then I will reconsider getting the extended warranty but buy from the net instead of the dealer.

Montana

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just cancelled mine about a week ago as you have thirty days in which you can get a full refund. They will try and talk you into keeping it but stick to it and they have to issue you the full amount back. The refund will not be a check or cash but instead applied to the loan payoff amount assuming you financed, Your payment per month will stay the same but you will just end up paying it off sooner. See the finance people as they are the ones that get this done and all you need to do is fill out a one page sheet or just sign it if they are nice enough to fill it out for you.

I got hit for a very large amount and didn't think of purchasing it on the net from another dealer. What bothers me about this is you buy a 7 year plan and it covers you from the first day of vehicle ownership. What happen to the warranty you got with the car, Well you just paid for the first three years as well. If you ask for a pro-rated refund later they deduct from the first day and not the 3 year mark as they should. I just did that with the GM extended warranty and I paid $975.00 for it and with half the warranty left I got back $144.00. Pretty crappy return if you ask me.

Anyway your call if you want to cancel it and if it is really worth it to you, If Ford can fix my tranny issue then I will reconsider getting the extended warranty but buy from the net instead of the dealer.

Montana
I spoke with Ziegler, even if you cancel a dealer one, you can still rebuy from ziegler online

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I spoke with Ziegler, even if you cancel a dealer one, you can still rebuy from ziegler online
No one tells me anything! I should've cancelled my dealer one >.<

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great answers. I will cancel the one from the 60 mile away car dealer.
I may try to get it locally with my favorite dealer as i wanted. And actually negotiate it.
I want the same day loaner, and smaller deduct....
Thanks again.[woot]

·
Registered
139 Posts
It does not matter who you buy it with, as long as it is Ford ESP, you can use it at any Ford Dealer.

What was the coverage you paid 1,400 for anyway?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would not buy the extended warranty. I really don't think you need it. It is a way for them to make more money. You already have a 36k mile warranty from ford.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I disagree with Jpaul :)

I got the 5yr/100,000 mile premium warrenty. I will have 36k on my car within a 1.5yrs so this is peace of mind. With it being first year in US and with MFT all the other new technology I wanted it so I would not have to worry later.

Its all preference though.

gl

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed it is a tough call. If you are a high mileage driver it might be worth it.

During my working years I probably averaged 30k miles a year, now not so much so I will have at least major mechanical coverage for the 5/60. Also, in my experience most of the expensive repairs done to my previous cars (Ford and VW) were the result of a recall or a factory TSB so there was no cost. No guarantee, but I am inclined not to pay for repairs in advance and skip the extended warranty.

I will agree if I had MFT and the six speed powershift trans I might feel differently but my car is (relatively) simply equipped.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks for the great answers. I will cancel the one from the 60 mile away car dealer.
I may try to get it locally with my favorite dealer as i wanted. And actually negotiate it.
I want the same day loaner, and smaller deduct....
Thanks again.[woot]
don't buy it from your local dealer UNLESS he meets Zieglers price. you will save yourself up to a few hundred dollars. they will honor it as long as it is a Ford ESP.

I would not buy the extended warranty. I really don't think you need it. It is a way for them to make more money. You already have a 36k mile warranty from ford.
so you don't buy insurance on your house? or your car? what the extended warranty is, is insurance nothing more. it is a gamble sure because you are betting that you will need it and ford is betting you won't. but look at the number of problems that some owners are having and to ME at least it is a cheap bet. it pretty much pays for itself wine one or two repairs down the road.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I disagree with Jpaul :)

I got the 5yr/100,000 mile premium warrenty. I will have 36k on my car within a 1.5yrs so this is peace of mind. With it being first year in US and with MFT all the other new technology I wanted it so I would not have to worry later.

Its all preference though.

gl
This is the exact reason I bought it. I was able to get a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty. I have less than a 4 mile commute to work, so I won't put many miles on the car. All the technology in this car makes me think I will end up getting my money's worth. I would always buy an ESP on a first year model.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Agreed it is a tough call. If you are a high mileage driver it might be worth it.

I will agree if I had MFT and the six speed powershift trans I might feel differently but my car is (relatively) simply equipped.
I'm going to drive about 30,000 miles a year, so the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty was probably a good choice for me. Fully loaded Titanium - so plenty of things to break. Also, I'm covered for loaners and $0 deductible at my dealer, and all those AAA kind of things (fill-ups, etc).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts