Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have been wondering if the guy who I bought my svt from had changed the timing belt. Well I went out to take a look. What I'm confused bout is the belt don't look old and it still has writing visible on it. The thing is is that it is a ford timing belt. Usually people when they replace them they are gators or delco's . So I'm posting here to see what you guys think. Usually I go by visibility of writing and if the belt is glossy.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you can find the sequence of progressively changing numbers ... I don't know if they're lot numbers or serial numbers. That would give you an idea of when the belt was made.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I changed my timing belt a month ago.... And I used a ford belt. Also, most people prefer to drop their vehicles off at the dealership.... And guess what? They'll probably use a ford belt.... So it being a ford belt offers no clue as to whether it's new or old.

Did the previous owner change the belt? Let's say that he did.... Do you think he changed the timing belt tensioner or the timing belt idler pulleys? Or do you think he saved some coin and swapped only the belt?

More often than not.... It's a idler or a tension that goes bad.... Which in turn destroys the belt... Which grenades the engine.

Lots of variables to think about. I ended up deciding a whole timing belt kit that included the pulleys was worth the peace of mind. I think it cost me $150. I also did the water pump because I was right there... That was another $75. Worth it to me to do it right the first time.

Just some things you'll have to think about. Hit up [email protected] ford. He sells parts at employee cost.... And even gave me a promo code that basically gave me free shipping.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed my timing belt a month ago.... And I used a ford belt. Also, most people prefer to drop their vehicles off at the dealership.... And guess what? They'll probably use a ford belt.... So it being a ford belt offers no clue as to whether it's new or old.

Did the previous owner change the belt? Let's say that he did.... Do you think he changed the timing belt tensioner or the timing belt idler pulleys? Or do you think he saved some coin and swapped only the belt?

More often than not.... It's a idler or a tension that goes bad.... Which in turn destroys the belt... Which grenades the engine.

Lots of variables to think about. I ended up deciding a whole timing belt kit that included the pulleys was worth the peace of mind. I think it cost me $150. I also did the water pump because I was right there... That was another $75. Worth it to me to do it right the first time.

Just some things you'll have to think about. Hit up [email protected] ford. He sells parts at employee cost.... And even gave me a promo code that basically gave me free shipping.
Thank you for the response. Your right on that. I was just trying to save some coin to lol. I can get it at cost no problem but thanks for the reference. I guess I'll just go ahead and do it for the peice of mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How much does it cost to get the timing belt water pump and etc changed, a round about if you or anyone knows would be great haha I need to do so to my 02 svt as well ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm about to need it. Original belt not quite 65,000 mi. I got quotes from dealership "estimating high" was how the service writer called it, about $1500. From a chain of repair shops (Christian Brothers) it was $950.
Both I asked for belt, pulleys, water pump replacement. I think I should keep looking.
Any suggestions in Fort Worth-Dallas area?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have any suggestions mine was 780 and that was without the water pump. My water pump is newer is why I don't want the water pump done. You don't have to do the water pump because it is not ran off the timing belt. Many people here will tell you two since you have to take it off in order to get to the timing belt itself.

But if you want to save the extra couple hundred bucks and just get the belt done with pulleys and tensioner then do it that way. Not everyone just has a grand to throw down on a belt.

Also make sure they do a oil change. Any respectable shop would advise you to do it because they have to take valve cover off. Anyone who has worked in a shop can tell yah it's a dirty environment.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Dirty only due to incompetence of the worker. You can change valve cover all day long with no oil change if you are careful and pay attention to detail. Line workers don't because they get paid to shove crap out and that is exactly what they do.

You do NOT have to yank water pump to change timing belt on a US zetec type engine, only remove the pulley. Pump gets changed then because you are already there and stupid to do the work twice.

I don't call a shop that works as dirty as possible then expects you to pay extra for their ineptitude 'respectable'.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts