Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
TheNerg,

i've browsed through the same guide myself. i have some led bulbs comming in this week and plan on doing it myself this weekend. for the wiring basically what i plan on doing is running a positive and ground wire from each of the led's and merging them all into 1 wire each (1 positive and 1 ground) and taking the positive wire and running it to a remote plug on a 3 prong switch, whiled the ground will plug into the ground on the plug along with the outside ground going into the switch, and of course running a power and ground wire from the car (battery for power, metal bolt on a metal panel in the car for the ground). the purpose of the switch is so that you can turn these lights on and off anytime you choose. hopefully this info helps you out.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
so just to clarify, the LEDs will not be powered by the car itself?
per that guide you linked to; it sounds like its being hooked up to a 20amp fuse, so that would be the car powering it. You could hook them up to a 9 volt or something if you really wanted to but having the car itself power them would be the best way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
per that guide you linked to; it sounds like its being hooked up to a 20amp fuse, so that would be the car powering it. You could hook them up to a 9 volt or something if you really wanted to but having the car itself power them would be the best way.
this is starting to make more sense to me [thumb]

where would i find the fuse?

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you will want to use something like this http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2 to add a "hot" line. to find the correct fuse to use you will more than likely want a fuse that is hot when the ignition is on (you could also use one that is hot all the time). To find that I recommend one of these http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=1ACXTvHkOsixsALCrN2tBA&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAQ

you can get both of these items at any auto parts store.
thank you, this helps out a LOT!

now would these plug in to the standard fuse box by the driver door or somewhere else? the wiring process itself doesnt seem too difficult but i know next to nothing about car insides.

thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
yep, it will plug into an existing fuse slot in the fuse box in the drivers side compartment. Its much safer and cleaner than tapping into an existing wire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, it will plug into an existing fuse slot in the fuse box in the drivers side compartment. Its much safer and cleaner than tapping into an existing wire.
how do i get the wiring from the lights into the box from the inside? looks a little tight in there...

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
i'm not 100% familiar with the inside of the '07 dash. It may be a little sung but you're not using very big gauge wire so I'm sure you can work it around in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts