Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2017 Focus SE with 44000 miles. Owned it a couple weeks and it threw a P0442 code. Cleared it, but it came a back a few days later. Did research and subsequently replaces canister purge valve. A few days later it throws the same P0442 code.... GRRRRR. So I decide I don’t have a smoke machine and I am not chasing it and took it to my local dealer. They tell me it’s the canister purge valve, I explain I just replaced that. They give me a standard response about non OEM parts are known to fail blah blah blah. I tell them to change it... to the tune of $276, figuring they bought the problem. I get the car back and 3 days later... P0442. I take it back in, they check it and tell me yeah it’s something else, we are going to have to smoke check it. Which irritates me, because I assumed the $112 diagnosis fee had already included that... guess not.
The next day they tell me there is a leak at the filler neck and it will be $700.
No thank you.
Now the car has stopped throwing P0442 and starts throwing a P0455. I don’t know what they did, but I decide to just change the filler neck assembly. I swap it out, fill the car with gas and no CEL for about 3 days, then P0455. I clear it and on the drive home it throws it again. Turns out, that the car now throws P0455 about the same amount of time after start up.... EVERY start up. It only throws it once. I clear it while I am driving (I have a scan gauge installed, so I can do that). And the rest of the drive no issues.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
it can be a leak anywhere in the system..........common with defective fuel cap, which IS a leak AT the filler neck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. However, mine is a 2017, so it has a cap less filler.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ya know, the evap system for our cars was subject to a recall. Basically meaning Ford has to fix it for free. You might have screwed yourself out of that by trying to fix it yourself first though. I'm not sure. Certainly Ford dealerships can be as slimy as a back alley sewer rat though so if nothing else your task might be tougher now. Anyway, if you're not already familiar with it, research the recall. The gist of it is this:

"To rectify the issue, Ford and Lincoln dealers will reprogram the powertrain control module and check for fault codes and replace the valve as necessary, Ford said. If the valve is replaced, dealers also will inspect and replace the carbon canister, fuel tank and fuel delivery module if needed."

They fixed mine for free cuz I told them I knew about the recall. Still didn't stop them from trying to tell me my cabin filter was dirty and needed to be replaced even though I had replaced it literally the hour before I drove there.:mad:
Snakes, man.

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
'However, mine is a 2017, so it has a cap less filler.'

My bad, I forget about that. Still there must be a pressure demand relief valve of some sort, you absolutely cannot seal 100% or the fuel pump then cannot get fuel supply to it. Whatever the flow demand device is is leaking. You also have to seal at however you add fuel to it and could be why they mentioned filler neck. If you changed that entry device then not that. Or system leaking somewhere along about 30 feet of emission hose there under car. There may be a recall on a purge valve back at the back, there is more than one on the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a used 2017 Focus SE with 44000 miles. Owned it a couple weeks and it threw a P0442 code. Cleared it, but it came a back a few days later. Did research and subsequently replaces canister purge valve. A few days later it throws the same P0442 code.... GRRRRR. So I decide I don’t have a smoke machine and I am not chasing it and took it to my local dealer. They tell me it’s the canister purge valve, I explain I just replaced that. They give me a standard response about non OEM parts are known to fail blah blah blah. I tell them to change it... to the tune of $276, figuring they bought the problem. I get the car back and 3 days later... P0442. I take it back in, they check it and tell me yeah it’s something else, we are going to have to smoke check it. Which irritates me, because I assumed the $112 diagnosis fee had already included that... guess not.
The next day they tell me there is a leak at the filler neck and it will be $700.
No thank you.
Now the car has stopped throwing P0442 and starts throwing a P0455. I don’t know what they did, but I decide to just change the filler neck assembly. I swap it out, fill the car with gas and no CEL for about 3 days, then P0455. I clear it and on the drive home it throws it again. Turns out, that the car now throws P0455 about the same amount of time after start up.... EVERY start up. It only throws it once. I clear it while I am driving (I have a scan gauge installed, so I can do that). And the rest of the drive no issues.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Had the same problem with mine and ended up taking the breathing tube from the wheel well to the box off and shoving a high pressure air hose into the box and bunch of dust came out and sure enough hooked everything back up and it stopped. Could be that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same problem with mine and ended up taking the breathing tube from the wheel well to the box off and shoving a high pressure air hose into the box and bunch of dust came out and sure enough hooked everything back up and it stopped. Could be that.

Also Make sure you take all 3 tubes off of the collection box so the dirt doesn't just shoot up the other lines 😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you say breathing tube to the box... are you talking about the vent line back at the filler neck or the intake air box where the air filter is? I hope it is something this simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you say breathing tube to the box... are you talking about the vent line back at the filler neck or the intake air box where the air filter is? I hope it is something this simple.

It's a breathe tube located at the rear right wheel well by the filler neck yes, leads back to a box up by the fuel tank and it's all connected to the purge system. Kinda a bastard to get to but it's like a filter box for the purge system not the air intake. I'll see if I can find a link to a video

·
Registered
5 Posts

Okay so my ******* forgot what it was called. It's the evap canister not evap valve. When u look it up it likes to just take u to the valve videos and what not. But yah just follow the lines from your filler neck and stuff to the evap canister. Should have 3 different tubes coming out take uhm all off and shove some high pressure air through it for a good minute or two and try propping your easyfill cap open with a funnel and cleaning the seal with wd-40

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to blabber on but if I remember right the very left hole will be intake and the right two will be out so I put the air through the left just to stay with the flow of everything and it worked pretty good. Not sure it matters though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand. I saw that box when I was changing out the filler neck. Yes, it will be a pain to get to, but it obviously can be done. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
'However, mine is a 2017, so it has a cap less filler.'

My bad, I forget about that. Still there must be a pressure demand relief valve of some sort, you absolutely cannot seal 100% or the fuel pump then cannot get fuel supply to it. Whatever the flow demand device is is leaking. You also have to seal at however you add fuel to it and could be why they mentioned filler neck. If you changed that entry device then not that. Or system leaking somewhere along about 30 feet of emission hose there under car. There may be a recall on a purge valve back at the back, there is more than one on the car.
If I remember correctly, cuz it has been over 2 years since I had to give 2 shits, the fuel inlet is part of the filler neck. It's common for debris to get stuck in the little door that seals off the filler neck. Still dealing with that bullshit, even working at a Toyota dealer. In fact, had to diagnose multiple transmission issues with that POS DPS6... I just can't get away from these cars. Got another one sitting on the lot waiting to be looked at now..... ugh, I'm gonna go work at a Mercedes dealer next.... Ok, enough of that rant....

The EVAP system has a canister purge valve (also called a "vapor management valve") and a canister vent valve. The canister purge valve is in the engine compartment, and connects to the intake. The canister vent valve is connected directly to the charcoal canister.

There was a TSB for early "capless fuel system" equipped vehicles concerning EVAP leaks that instructed technicians to use the emergency fill funnel to "open and close" and "capless fuel system fill door" something like 10 or 12 times. Then clear the code and return the vehicle. I always thought it was BS, so I always ran the EVAP test to verify that the leak was actually fixed. Supposedly there was an issue with debris getting stuck in the little door flap resulting in a P0442.....

There was also a TSB concerning early MK3 Focus that finally became the recall that catmagnet2016 is referring to.....

I take it back in, they check it and tell me yeah it’s something else, we are going to have to smoke check it. Which irritates me, because I assumed the $112 diagnosis fee had already included that... guess not.
For a P0442, smoking testing is not always effective. However, you are correct in assuming that they should have already done a smoke test.

As for aftermarket parts.... I've replaced more than my fair share. In a lot of cases, the incorrect part was purchased due to ignorance. I'm not defending them, so don't think that. Replacing aftermarket parts just for the sake of replacing aftermarket parts is a bad practice. If they can't prove to you that the part is defective, you're being ripped off.

Ya know, the evap system for our cars was subject to a recall. Basically meaning Ford has to fix it for free. You might have screwed yourself out of that by trying to fix it yourself first though. I'm not sure. Certainly Ford dealerships can be as slimy as a back alley sewer rat though so if nothing else your task might be tougher now. Anyway, if you're not already familiar with it, research the recall. The gist of it is this:
Ya'll need to find some better dealerships to deal with.... Or, if you know the shop is shady, demand proof (within reason, obviously) of whatever issues they claim exist. If they have an issue with providing proof, contact Ford Customer Service and file a complaint against the dealership.

If the factory part has been replaced with an aftermarket part, Ford is no longer legally liable as far as I am aware. Ford is only obligated to replace OEM or OEM (Ford/Motorcraft branded) replacement parts. The best course of action is the retain the replaced parts when possible and should a recall affecting said part occur, reinstall the previously replaced part. With most recalls, if you've done the repair yourself or a "qualified shop" has done the repair for you, you can get reimbursed for the associated cost. Not really helpful here, but felt I should point it out anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all of your input. Before crawling up under the car, won’t have an opportunity to for a bit, I decided to try something different. Instead of clearing the code immediately while driving, I allowed the CEL to stay on for several trips, then reset it whil sitting stationary. It has not come back for several days. Does this make any sense? It literally was coming in in the same exact area of my drive every time I drove to or from work. It never came on in around town driving.

·
Registered
16,031 Posts
X2 to all of post #13..................the car can leak evap until that pressure test runs, if you have a leak then you pop a code. The test likes to run on long highway stretches with steady speed, the PCM chooses when that is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts