Focus Fanatics Forum banner

CONFIRMED: 2016 Ford Focus RS will be sold globally

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Wildsailor 
#1 ·
#4 ·
That's not even new news either. That was stated during the reveal in Cologne that the RS would have a way of performing controlled oversteer drifts on the track thanks to it's Ford Performance AWD system.

#6 ·
Given they described a mode for which could allow for controlled oversteer drifts on the track from the press release and the live reveal I'm going to guess your complaint was that they didn't go and name it drift mode when it was all but explicitly stated as such.

It doesn't matter so much in that having known it back in February won't have allowed anyone to buy one sooner, but it was stated as a mode for drifting then.

The AWD system has been tuned to deliver exceptional grip – with lateral acceleration exceeding 1 g – and class-leading cornering speed and acceleration out of a bend. With neutral and adjustable limit handling, and the ability to achieve controlled oversteer drifts at the track; the Focus RS delivers the ultimate fun-to-drive experience
From the initial press release.

The Drift Mode features a specially developed calibration for the AWD system which modifies the torque distribution to help the driver achieve controlled oversteer drifts under circuit conditions.
From the Geneva release.

Yes they added additional information to clarify what a drift mode is, but it had already been established that it would exist initially.

#8 ·
Have you never heard of being able to put two and two together?

They all but shouted up and down about how drift friendly the car was and even brought on Ken Block as a "consultant", but hey they didn't overtly say hey guys, look it's a drift mode, when they all but danced around the terms until the Geneva auto show debut. So even without overtly saying it was a special mode they said it without saying the words through their actions that day. Hence why it's no surprise at all to me by now. [loveff]

#10 ·
This is just going to be an assumption on my part based on the way 'Sport+ Mode' is implemented on the Mustang; the 'Drift Mode' on the RS will likely be a loosening of the IVD restrictions to allow the car to oversteer a bit. My Focus SE will not tolerate a skid at all with the IVD pretty much stopping the car when I pull the handbrake in the snow to kick the rear end out (not very much fun). The 'Sport+ Mode' does not turn the IVD completely off it just loosens the tolerance to a skid.

I really do not know for sure but it makes sense given how the Mustang is set up that the RS would be similar. Time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.