Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have the Volant Intake, and I'm at the point where the filter that came with the Volant (a cotton gauze that is far inferior to even some of the worst cotton gauze filters) is about ready to retire...I thought, no big deal, I'll get the dimensions and find another one to replace it...hmmm...not as easy I had thought. It has a 4 1/2 inch opening, a 5 7/8 inch filter base diameter, 5/8 inch centered opening flange, a 4 1/2 inch filter top diameter, and it's 5 inches long. SO I start looking...first place I look is ITG..since I'd rather have a foam filter than the cotton gauze...they don't have anything that'll fit. Really limited selection actually. So I head to K&N, they have one that will fit...except it has a TITANIUM end cap! Why in the same blue hill would I want a TITANIUM end cap...not only do I not wan't one, It won't work anyways, since there has to be some degree of flexibility in the end cap, just so I can get the damn thing into the Volant box...Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I know they do, but problem is, it's not a real good filter in the first place...I'd much rather just upgrade to a better filter right now, than to clean this one, that is pretty crappy even when brand new. Otherwise I would do that in a heart beat, I may have to if the K&N I ordered doesn't fit.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
its equal in quality to the k&n i bet. its way better than the ebay cones. check the post i put in the other thread and find me later so we can talk more eh

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Ok I have a K&N cone filter.

What I did was remove the volant attachment for the MAF. Bore the hole so my 70mm MAF can fit through, then simply clamp the K&N onto the MAF. Works great.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Will one of the HKS dome shaped filters fit in the box? I know they come in various inlet diameters. They use foam elements as well. Another foam filter is monster flow. I've seen a lot of them on Miatas. Its a cone shape but I don't have the dimensions. I believe Goodwin Motorsports sells them separately from the intake kits.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
do you have a pic of that ?
did you removed the volant box ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Don't mean to jack the thread, but I was just wondering, since I'm on a budget, would a K&N drop in filter make any difference from the stock filter? Even a fraction of gain would make me happy. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts