Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about putting a cone filter on my stock intake tube rather than buying a CAI since I'm gonna be selling the car in a few months and I have many many questions. There was a thread about this on here but it was very useless and unclear so I thought I'd start up a new one.

I am looking at K&N filters as my first choice but I am open to suggestions. I don't want something super cheap but I don't plan to spend much more than 50-60 dollars.

I want to know:

1. What are the dimensions that would fit my stock intake? I will be keeping the bottom half of the air box along with the snorkel.
Here's a list from K&N

2. What sort of clamps or hardware will I need?

3. Can I expect any special modifications that I would have to do in order to make it all work?

4. Will I have any Smog/CARB or CEL problems?

That's pretty much all I have to ask. Any and all help is appreciated! [race]

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It gives me a little but it's a bit confusing since it's the Duratec engine. I would need the specs for the Zetec engine unless they're the same.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Idk if the same but all you need to do is measure the circumference of the tube n buy a proper size cone. That and one of the clamps you see on the cone in the link I give you.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
You mean like taking this and sticking it infront of maf? Then tightening it with those rubber hose like things?

You can but I don't suggest it.

No cel or any issues with smog.

I dont suggest it because it is really difficult to keep on properly if you play around a bit. Securing the thing is a pita. It will fall off every once in awhile and your car will run like shit w/ cels. Pop the hood put it back on and you're good to go.

Also you have to be weary about it bouncing around in your engine bay. The mesh bends and will break the cotton causing a hole to form in the filter. Defeating the purpose of the filter to keep dirt and stuff out. I had one on my car for a year and broke two.

Personally I think you'd be better off w/ a k&n square filter and dropping it in.

Not as noisey, which is good or bad depending on who you are, and still functions as a filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
I mean doing pretty much exactly what is shown here: http://www.ineedawebsite.com/BlazingCopperZX3/Stealth CAI.html

As for securing it, i am sure the hose clamps will work just fine but there are other ways of securing it.

What do you mean a k&n square filter, the one you've pictured looks k&n but also looks cone. Dropping it in wear?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
thats a dtec thing isnt it? am i in the wrong section...??

theyre are rubber like hoses like these http://www.spectreperformance.com/cat/air-intake-components-couplers-reducers-pvc?cat=C00000276 only thing i found that works reasonably well. i put one side on the open end and the other infront of the maf where the tube turns to a hard plastic and goes into the lunch box...

K&n square filter like this http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2819 the picture i put up is to give OP ideas.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Different engine, same principle. Imo.
Idk what is under that lunch box, a tube?, or nothing at all.
but he would probably need that rubber coupler to adapt to size.

But seriously, someone with zetec engine should be answering these questions.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Just use a drop in K&N or high flow paper panel filter.

Unless you are out for show that is..........

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just use a drop in K&N or high flow paper panel filter.

Unless you are out for show that is..........
That is what I wish I could do. Damn your lifetime air filters Ford! Damn them to hell..

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Drop in will work better then any cone style. To improve that get the SVT lunch box and K&N drop in and call it done.

The MAF has a flange on the end that you can measure (not sure on the diameter think its around 3". Then just get a tape measure and find the length and diameter of the cone. you should be able to do this in an hour or so by removing the air box taking measurements.

You will get better performance and less heat soak if you keep the box, upgrade it to an SVT one and do a drop in panel filter.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Different engine, same principle. Imo.
Idk what is under that lunch box, a tube?, or nothing at all.
but he would probably need that rubber coupler to adapt to size.

But seriously, someone with zetec engine should be answering these questions.
i have a zetec?...

and have done exactly what OP wants to....

Trying to warn him not to....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Was speaking about myself bud. I have a dtec, not ztec- so what ever I say is just from opinion and not experience.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lots of negativity towards this method. I guess I'll stick with the FRAM filter. And yes it was mainly for show because having a giant filter looks pretty nice. Makes for an easier sell too!

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
an easier sell? not sure on that one. The best air mod you can do is get the SVT drop air box and tube. remove the air resonator off the side and put in the K&N drop in or similar style.

This will prevent heat soak, improve cold air capture, and improve airflow.

You can still do it if you want you will likely just have to measure it for your self I suppose. but you may loose power due to capturing more hot air under the hood then the current system (this is heat soaking).

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I meant selling to an idiot. They don't know it's a crappy idea. Lol, but I figured for the extra heat and that's where the snorkel and the bottom half of the box comes in. I could also make a heatshield or stick a snorkel-like tube to the fender that goes down to the wheel well, but not too low so it doesn't catch water.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts