Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some tips on leather conditioning/restoration. I bought some used leather Recaros. Overall they are in great shape, but have some minor cracking on the driver's seat bolsters. I'd like to condition the seats to prevent any further cracking, and also hide any current cracks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Let's try this in the Car Wash section, it's ended up to be the place for most car care questions.

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
Use lexol leather conditioner its the brown bottle and lexol cleaner orange bottle. You can find it on ebay.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Better than the Lexol?
Far superior, lexol is good as an otc product but pails in comparison to a true organic rejuvenator such as Leatherique. I've been using it for over 6 years an nothing has come close, that said you must adhere to the simple rules of application.

Leave it on for 24 hours min and apply during the hottest days. The hotter the better, the leather will expand an allow the pours to absorb all the oils.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that this Leatherique is supposed to be something else. I need to try some, my passenger seat has always been a little hard since I got the car. No matter where I park the sun hits that seat.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Ford's leather in general is blah lol, these Recaros I have though are pretty nice. But all leather just gets eaten up if not garaged parked and just parked outside in the elements. Not to mention any leather will deteriorate if not taken care of.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
My Recaros are in great shape overall... some of the better leather I've seen in a Ford. The leather they had in the late 90's-00's Mustangs and SUVs always cracked up after a few years on the drivers seat.

Also they liked to use a combo of leather and vinyl on the same seat, Lol. At least on the EAP the fronts are full leather, the backseat clearly isn't.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
The leather on them is definitely thicker and nicer than most ford's. I (meaning my wife) stitched the seat cushion for me as it split at the seams. I (meaning me) had to get the cover on and off which was easy with the How to's available. I was surprised at how thick it was, I (meaning my wife) had a hard time getting the needle through the material it was so thick, which means it should last if taken care of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Leather is skin, keep it hydrated with the proper oils and it will stop cracking. Personally, the most detrimental thing to leather isn't cracking but chafing from sand in the cracks. I see this all the time, it absolutely destroys leather (The dye to be specific).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well damn, and I thought that Lexol stuff worked pretty good or at least better than any other leather stuff I've used, guess I gotta buy a bottle of that now lol
By it in a 32 oz, it's a rip off in the smaller application sizes. I buy it in a case of 12 aka 3 gallons at a time. Huge savings imo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts