Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this I dont understand. First of all this is my girlfriends car and ive worked on it a little but not much so im new to focus but not to a wrench. Her ac started acting up and not cooling great so first thing I did was check the charge and it was a little low so i topped it off, now its blowing 34 degrees on the highway. The problem is sitting at idle the temp goes up slowly to about 70. I did some more checking and found that the condenser fan is never coming on. The right side radiator fan comes on when you start the car but no matter how hot ,and ac on or off, the left side condenser fan never comes on. I tested the motor directly and it runs no problem so not the motor. the harness is putting out over 13v and about 6 amps which is the same as the rad motor is receiving and it runs fine. My question is how can the fan run when jumped directly to the battery but not from the harness when its putting out the same voltage and amps hooked up either way? Any ideas?? Thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
My question is how can the fan run when jumped directly to the battery but not from the harness when its putting out the same voltage and amps hooked up either way? Any ideas?? Thanx in advance.
Do you know how many rigged up fans I've found in KOed cars in junkyards? Do you know that every single one of them worked when I repaired the factory wiring- which on the old OBD1 cars was typically a temp sensor used by the ECU?

Now of course, that's probably not the problem in your car. The most likely problem is the resistor or the fan plug itself, but I'd be surprised that you didn't notice that the plastic on the plug was melted when you tested the fan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the plug on the fan was fine, the fan on the resistor and the resistor is bad and looked melted but i tryed cleaning and jumped it and still nothing even used a meter to make sure i was making contact. what fan is the resistor for the rad fan or the condenser fan?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
116 Posts
check for ground at the fan plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i did im getting 13v 6 amp tested at the plug and the same when run direct to the battery. The motor runs when hooked up direct but not when plugged in the harness?

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Replace the resistor, and it will work. Those fans are supposed to come on in stages. There are multiple threads on it, and it's a well documented issue with Zetecs- especially those with missing heat shields or headers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after more testing my resistor shows good and seems to be working correctly. My problem turned out to be a relay I cant explain why when I measured at the plug I was getting 13v 6a but when plugged in it wouldn't run, but after replacing the black c1410 which is one up from the lower right side corner relay it's working right now. Thanx for the help

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
It might be that the circuit is fed a constant hot, and the resistor is tied into the ground for each fan. This is a bit backwards, but it would explain why you found voltage. I don't have a schematic to be sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts