Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Today it just did a week since I bought my Ford Focus 2001 LX SOHC 2.0l. It has 93000 miles on it, and I was concerned about checking some stuff under the hood. I have been trying to find issues or things to be changed.

Car accesory belt seems to be pretty good by manual inspection (touching), but I can not access timing belt without removing the last one. I was wondering if there is a way to know when should I change it. Last owner only had the car for less than 10000 miles, and did not know when was the last time it was changed.

I checked Mitchell on Demand, and in maintenance section they claim it has to be changed at 90000 miles, but in engine belts they say timing belt has to be changed at 120000 miles (Both mileage seem to be very high for a belt, at least in Spain, where I am from).

Can anyone give some information about this? Is there a way to check reparations done in the car using the VIN number in USA? does anyone know if this is an interference engine (do valves get bended if belt breaks?)?

Thank you very much for you time and help

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If the work was done at Ford the information will be available on their Oasis reporting system. Contact Mike at the Hilbish Ford Forum on here and he can run the report for you.

The way that most people (not this list mind you, just car owners in general) maintain their cars I would be surprised if the belt has been changed at all, and 90K is not too soon to do it.

Also - since yours is an early model year, have Mike see if the fuel pump recall was done...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information StealthGray, it is really helpful, rep for you! What would be the usual mileage to change the timing belt for my model?

Thanks

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
You were right on at 120K being in the manual, but people have been changing them early. I just did mine recently at 116k and it was fine. Do them both, and do the tensioner and the idler pulley at the same time. They don't cost much and then its no worries for another 100k or so.
Plan on about 3 hours or so to do it, 4-5 if you aren't quick with tools. It is somewhat involved.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the information viney266. I am still concerned about if car is interference engine or not, because I was told it is not, but then in some website I read it is, this is pretty important thing, It can save you a lot of money if it suddenly breaks.

Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does SPI stand for? My engine is SFI (Stratified Fuel Injection) SOHC 2.0l ¿is it SPI too? I want to be completely sure the car is non interference.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts