Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have replaced my ABS sensor on my '05 ST and my ABS light is still on. I am being told by one mechanic to take it to Ford and they can re set the ABS code and another guy is telling me the ABS cannot be re set and it re sets itself once the problem is fixed. any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
if im not mystaken, u can reset ur whole computer by disconnecting the negative wire to ur battery for about 5-10 min. This should reset ur whole system and this will reset ur clock and trip as well.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I'm not certain about the Focus.....but many cars need the ABS code erased before it will go away, even if you replace the faulty part. Some code scanners may be able to do this. On some cars.....after a fixed number of engine starts, a code will go away by itself if the problem has been fixed. Just unhooking the battery may not erase a CEL.....

Just how did you determine the faulty ABS part?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I believe that from about 2003 onwards the system is designed such that a scantool is required to reset ABS codes, but I'm only about 80% sure of this.

Some auto stores, such as AutoZone, have scan tools that they will either use to read/reset the codes, or loan to you for your use (typically requiring a refundable deposit if it is loaned to you).

Give a few phone calls and see if you have a store near you that will read/rest codes for free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.