Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

First post here on fanatics, but I need to get this addressed shortly. I will make another post introducing myself when I can get some pics of the car as well.

I bought a used silver 03 ZX5 with 87,000 kms on it. The young guy that I purchased it from had an aftermarket stereo in it and a Compustar remote starter/alarm in it. When I bought the car, he removed the stereo and left the compustar.

When I went to test drive the car with everything in it, he showed me the remote start feature and it worked. After he removed the stereo, the remote starter didn't work. Replaced the batteries and the compustar remote works but nothing responds to it.

I've decided that after messing with it for a few days, I'm not going to bother with it and just get a few OEM key fobs for the car and program them to use.

My question is, do I need to remove the Compustar completely in order for me to use OEM key fobs and program them to use for my ZX5? Or can I just go ahead and use OEM key fobs while leaving everything else in place?

I don't have any experience with remote starters on previous cars, so this is all new to me.

Any help you can provide would be great! Thanks![cheers]

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
First, Compustar is a great brand. Many installers argue better than Viper(DEI).

Second, you can absolutely use factory keyfobs while any aftermarket remote start is installed. The only issue I could possibly imagine is if the remote start actually has an alarm as well. Using the factory fob to unlock the door and enter the vehicle may not necessarily unarm the aftermarket alarm. Meaning, of course, the alarm would sound when you opened the door. If this was coupled with a starter kill feature, you'd be dead in the water. But on that note, I think you would have experienced all this by now, so you're probably good. :)

As for what's wrong with the remote start system, there's no way for us to tell. It could be one of about 100 things. It needs to be taken to a professional installer who is familiar with Compustar to be troubleshot. Canada eh? Try a Future Shop if you have one close by. They sell Compustar and I'll willing to bet, being in Canada, they do a heck of a lot of remote starts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also have a compustar system on my car and we sell a heckava lot of them at the shop I work at. Is your car a manual transmission? If so there is a sequence that needs to be done in order for the car to start. Also the car could possible be in valet, does the alarm chirp when you lock or unlock the door or is it quiet?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I also have a compustar system on my car and we sell a heckava lot of them at the shop I work at. Is your car a manual transmission? If so there is a sequence that needs to be done in order for the car to start. Also the car could possible be in valet, does the alarm chirp when you lock or unlock the door or is it quiet?
Both EXCELLENT points.[clap]

Only 98 more to go.[:D]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I took it to a Compustar dealer a few days ago, and they need it for a few hours to see what's wrong. Nothing responds and they figure something is disconnected, but, they have to go through trial and error to find the source.

Oh well...it's only money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts