Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing belt tensioner went, and I am replacing it. I'm just getting started and am trying to set to TDC, but am unsure about whether it's at TDC on the compression or exhaust stroke. Since the cams aren't turning, I can't just look at the cams to tell.

Does it matter? Or as long as the timing belt pin is in and I can see through the #1 spark plug hole that it's at the top, should that be fine?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm not expert, but since no one else is answering, I believe TDC is TDC. Wether it's comp. or exh. Try some searching though. I guarentee you can find it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You also need the metal bar that slides in between the slats at the end of the camshafts to align them when your at Top Dead Center. Once the cylinder 1 is at TDC insert the pin and turn the crank some more until it rests on the pin. Now, you are fully at TDC. Use the metal bar and insert between the slats and change the belt and tensioner.

-Brian

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff, thanks for the answers guys. From what I've gathered I believe that TDC doesn't matter if it's compression or exhaust stroke, since that will come into play when setting the cams. I'm not 100% certain of this but am goin to research some more. Thanks!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
TDC is TDC. Stroke is determined by the cam orientation.

Just remember to loosen the cam bolts before you apply tension to the belt, re-TQ them after the belt is on and tight.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
And use a wrench or special tool to hold the cam still, don't rely on the camshaft lock tool to hold it in place while you loosen the bolts. You can damage the cam and head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts