Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Compression in Cooling System

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
Hey 2002 SVT here, recently blew a cooling line or the thermo housing, (Don’t know as of yet) but my shop is telling me the head gasket is probably blown since there was pressure in the cooling system. I’m doubting it because the gasket was just done by a dealer within the last 3 years. Is there any other reason this would happen? Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
There MUST be up to 20 psi of pressure in the system at some point or you have a coolant leak. The shop must establish the pressure is higher than that or they are incompetent or scamming you. The common test is to read for exhaust gases in the coolant, they obviously haven't done the obvious thing to do.

Any other reason why a line might blow? Kidding, right? You DO have to change all the rubber hoses at some point on a 19 year old car. Fans not working, bad water pump, and low on coolant are other reasons.

If OP is saying the head gasket has been changed in the last 3 years all bets are off.

#9 ·
The thermostat housing and plastic coolant crossover tube on top of the radiator are common fail points on the SVT. You need to make the repairs before you can determine weather the head gasket was to blame or not. I would certainly not suspect a head gasket failure because some old brittle plastic cooling system parts broke...

#10 ·
'I would certainly not suspect a head gasket failure because some old brittle plastic cooling system parts broke...'

Really. It's the most common reason the gaskets fail. Next to a hose itself blowing out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.