1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 1.8 Zetec with 85kw.
It also runs on LPG (Gas)

I have a problem, when it gets cold like -25 Celcius i can't get it to start...
Took it to the repair man, it said that there's no compression in 1st and 4th cilinders... 2nd had a 10atm and 3rd also had 10... He suggested that I change the motor completely because it's dead and not worth repairing...

And after we succesfully started it i got after a while(cylinders 1 2 3 4) 0 10 10 6 atm...

Took to another repair man, he checked instantly the valves and said it needs to be adjusted and it will be all fine..

So which is wrong, which is right?

And how long will it take to adjust the values and what price should i pay for it?

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
From that info. it prob. needs valves, machine work & adjustment to be proper (rebuild head).

If the second can do it & gets lucky, might get it running better again for a while. Can't see the valves to determine how much damage/wear, if held open by the cam now as the second thinks adjustment might let them seat well enough to run again.

Proper adj. needs different tappets (cam buckets). Second mechanic is prob. planning to grind valve tips for a quick fix.

How much does he want for a maybe fix that might last a while? Worth it to you vs. a junkyard engine replacement?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From that info. it prob. needs valves, machine work & adjustment to be proper (rebuild head).

If the second can do it & gets lucky, might get it running better again for a while. Can't see the valves to determine how much damage/wear, if held open by the cam now as the second thinks adjustment might let them seat well enough to run again.

Proper adj. needs different tappets (cam buckets). Second mechanic is prob. planning to grind valve tips for a quick fix.

How much does he want for a maybe fix that might last a while? Worth it to you vs. a junkyard engine replacement?
Just got from my mechanic and he told me that he will grind the head. Is it a proper fix?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
does he mean a valve job? There is grinding done in a valve job.

·
Grey Friar
849 Posts
Have the shop do a complete "valve job". That means they will either recut the valve seats or just clean/polish them, as necessary, and then they will have to properly gap the cam-to-valve buckets as part of reassembly. You'll get it all done that way. Also, ask them to resurface the head, and reassemble the engine, that way they will have to time the cams properly for you, as well. Should run like a champ after that... unless the second guy was wrong and your rings are shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts