Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that in the menu on my stock stereo of my 07 se that there is an option of compress on/off... What does changing that do?

Also on a side note, when I have the bass up some, my license plate or license plate frame rattle. Is there any way to stop this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
compress makes the louder and softer sounds in the music closer to the same middle level.
Say an ordinary classical recording has a sound level ranging from 50dB to 97dB.(a dynamic range of 47dB)
Your button would do something like squeeze all that range (evenly, if any good) down some so the range became (in your car with the compression on) 65dB to 82dB. (a dynamic range of 18dB)
This makes it more resonable in a car environment.

Most Rock and Roll is already compressed a LOT anyway from the production. (and has like a dynamic range: softest to loudest of only 15dB anyway)

Compression in a car would be most useful for spoken word recordings, or Classical music.
Rock probably would hardly be changed (as it is already super compressed anyway)
And Jazz maybe better for the car, maybe not.. depending.

For the rattle. get some of the Blue Clay like stuff from a hardware store, and after working it over like clay, (rolling it, kneading it) then just stick it behind the plate/frame on sides. the claylike stuff will dampen the vibrations, and can be easily removed later.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks, that makes sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts