Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright guys here's a small update...got the alignment done and spacers/wheels installed and FINALLY got to drive my car again after like a month! It drives like it's ON RAILS now!! WOW I had no idea a Focus could handle this well. It's still well-behaved around town and while it's a tad stiffer than it was stock, that's a good thing. It is absolutely planted and can still soak up bumps like it used to. But where it really shines is the steering feel! I drove it with the new suspension but on stock wheels, and the handling was really really good. No more brake dive/acceleration squat, and it is FLAT in the corners. But then I installed the FiST wheels with 20mm hub adapters all around, and HOLY. CRAP. It feels like my dad's 2018 Mustang GT Performance, but half as heavy. Because it is! WOW wow wow I could not endorse this upgrade enough. The stance is sooo good and I had no idea a Focus could handle this well. Super neutral and responsive handling feel now, and the steering is WAY heavier than before. It's just SO GOOD. Now I'm looking for any excuse to get out and drive!! About to do a photoshoot with my little brother, but here are some iPhone pics to tide you all over for now:

IMG_0499.JPG

·
Registered
114 Posts
That looks sweet, I am leaning towards riding out the life remaining in the Michelins and then going for the Conti’s of the right size. VARIABLE9, did you have any issues with the front brake caliper just barely rubbing on the new wheels? I did, so I found a good deal on a 4-pack of 20mm hub adapters (not spacers!) to decrease the offset. Also, is that on stock suspension?
Sorry I missed this question.
Yes one caliper rubbed, I tried two different spacers one a cheapie and another made by H&R and both resulted in vibrations. So I just ground down the caliper that rubbed.
Stock suspension.
Congrats on your build.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry I missed this question.
Yes one caliper rubbed, I tried two different spacers one a cheapie and another made by H&R and both resulted in vibrations. So I just ground down the caliper that rubbed.
Stock suspension.
Congrats on your build.
Hey thanks! I’ve been enjoying it. Just making the car mine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey man, I found your thread!
I'm the guy from reddit, I hope you remember me.

I like this thread and I want to ask you what do you thing about the shocks that I bought. Do you think I'm doing wrong in buying the KYB Excel-G's for the car? I'm going to be using the H&R lowering springs and 21mm SVT rear swaybar. I don't mind the car not being stiff like the Ford Performance you got, I think it will be good since I'm changing the springs too which I think it will be stiffer than the old stock ones. Also the my front rears shocks are already bad so anything would be a plus. Here is what I spent so far on suspension:

$206 for front and rear kyb shocks
$83 for the rear sway bar
$216 for the springs
$27 for the front and rear sway bar links
#11 for Delphi sway bar bushing ( I want to return this and buy the same one you bought from PROTHANE )

Thanks for the input of the lunch box delete mod. I'm going to try that first. Good thing is that you said it doesn't drone when you on a highway.

About the ford badge in front, since your's is blacked out, what if I paint my badge in gloss black? This way I would not need to buy the overlay? Maybe?
I'll def keep an eye on your next build threads specially the front blacked out grill.

Do you still have your black housing oem headlights? I'm planning on or either open my headlights and paint the housing in black or just use the VHT NightShades spray paint and do like 2 light coats. What's your thoughts on this?

Are you planning to do anything to your taillights?

I checked the AlexTheMachinist shifter stuff and I'm going to do that too, thanks for that! But, do I really need to do the cable bushing set? I was only going to do the solid base shift bushing first, then the steeda short shifter. I didn't understand what that cable set does exactly.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts