Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotta say, the larger 2.3L impressed me now that we've shared some miles. I was worried about economy (as this was one of the big reasons for purchasing a small car). However, look at the first fillups...

323mi / 9.56g = 33.7mpg
348mi / 10.4g = 33.4mpg
331mi / 9.98g = 33.1mpg

Speedometer matches GPS exactly at 30mph and 60mph. Just for fun, speedometer reads 75mph when GPS says 74mph.

My wife's Fusion 2.3L auto returns 27-29mpg and my truck... 17-18mpg at the premium cost of diesel (add $0.40 per gallon...). I average $34 fillup a week, compared to $80 fillup driving my truck every day. I should add, I am fortunate enough to have an ethanol free fuel station close by which 87 octane E-free fuel is the same price as kwik trip or other 10% blends. I also run roadmaster premium add-pack diesel in the truck. However, I contribute the efficiency to the fact that most of my commute is county roads and country driving.

Anyway, I plan on driving this quite a bit in the winter so I have ordered a FX-R HID retrofit kit from theretrofitsource.com and plan on picking up winter tires when they go on sale. After all, I am saving almost $200 a month in fuel now! [twothumbs]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
2.3 is a nice engine, E-free fuel & country driving don't hurt.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That's higher than I've ever gotten on my 2.3. I normally average around 30 mixed driving, this last tank was mostly highway and I got a high of 32.5 mpg. That was driving about 75 though, I imagine if I kept it at 60 I could get close to 35 mpg.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't usually drive 75mph with the focus. She's got too much gear for high speed driving. I think the tach sits just over 3Krpm lol. However, the twisting roads and rolling hills are REAL fun in this car. I find myself enjoying some of the same back roads that I do with my motorcycle!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It is a blast to drive, especially now that I have it lowered with the frpp springs!

·
Registered
207 Posts
just got my 05 liquid gray ST, i love it already and only have had it for 1 day. 1 owner 107k mi, clean title, $4500. Im excited to see what gas mileage i get compared to my 02 zx5 auto

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
just got my 05 liquid gray ST, i love it already and only have had it for 1 day. 1 owner 107k mi, clean title, $4500. Im excited to see what gas mileage i get compared to my 02 zx5 auto
That's a good price. I normally average around 30 mpg but can get up to 33 or so

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I paid $4900 for my '07. Its a good car for the price. Still averaging 33.X mpg on all fillups. I try to use the same pump but I always use the same station.

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
Im jealous of your numbers from the 2.3l, I get around 27-28mpg normally out of my 2.0l. City driving and normally short trips. I only have a 10 mile round trip to work, so its not costing me too much to run [:)]

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That sounds about right, driving around NH is almost always mixed, so that's why I average around 30. Once I got stuck in traffic going through Boston and my mileage for that tank dropped to 26.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts