Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's possible to paint the chrome surround successfully.....but what about the center section?

It would be hard to properly clean, and next to impossible to sand down, short of using a sand blaster. Then the paint job....difficult because of the honey-comb surface. Durability....I can just see the thing chipping all the time, and needing a touch-up frequently.

Anyway....I'm thinking of painting my grill completely white. What are the odds of a successful paint job?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just painted mine yesterday. I just hit it with degreaser, then rinsed it like crazy. I didn't bother sanding. I sprayed it with adhesion promoter, then skipped the primer and went straight to paint. It's also got a few layers of clear coat to "hopefully" protect it from chips. We'll see how it holds up.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
it will chip if you dont sand/bead blast the honeycomb..

i painted mine black without doing that, and it chipped soo fast..

i then taped it off and bead blasted it.. and painted it black again.. no chips and looks perfect :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
so you have to sand it the whole thing down with sand paper, then coat it in primer, and then paint it? I don't know anything about paint. lol

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
thatd be impossible to sand in between with sandpaper.. do you know of a place where you could bead blast?

and you dont need primer.. i didnt use any. i just used a $5 can of black semi flat spray paint from advance auto parts

5,155 Posts
Is that made of plastic?

If so, you may want to try the new spray paint made by Krylon which is specifically designed to be used on plastic.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

I used that to paint the chrome on my grill 1.5 years ago, and it's held up pretty well so far. I've got some small chipping now. Only issue I had was the paint didn't correctly match the car paint (it was more like a matte black as opposed to a shiny black).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts