Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... I just bought an 02 focus and I'm completely new to the modifying scene. I've done a lot of work on sportbikes but not really anything on cars. I've installed a cat-back and a CAI, and I've already booked my car in for a header (SVT header, off road pipe, Random tech cat.) I've changed my plugs and wires and now I don't know what to do next. I'm not doing any visual mods until I've got the performance I want. Can anyone let me know of other mods I can do and list what their purpose is?
Thank you so much

Dan

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Get an SCT Xcal2 from Wayne (hypillauto.com). It turns your car into a whole different animal. It reprograms your car's computer.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
you ought to save for a supercharger or turbo of some kind if you want alot of power. And also dont forget about suspension. Keep us updated on your modding [thumb]

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i was thinking of it but I want to get everything little done first... I think the pulley's gonna be nice...

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
thfc1799 said:
I've already booked my car in for a header (SVT header, off road pipe, Random tech cat.)
Is it the ORP or Random Tech Cat? You can't have an offroad pipe and a cat at the same time. The SVT Header is the way to go. Best all around header but it's pricey. You can get the whole Kit from Mcnewsautomotive.com for 1 damn good price. Includes a Flex pipe and 02 Extenstions or Mil Eliminator depending on which route you choose. Depending on how you drive, i would go to for a supension. I have the SVT Suspension with Prothane Bushings for the Rear Sway Bar and i love it. If suspension isn't your thing, you could go for Cam Gears (really isn't a bolt on in my opinion) but you have to get them tuned. At that point you can get a chip or tune (flasher) that will help you make the most of your power that your making. You can also get some 4.06 Gears and different clutch if you want. If going N/A isn't your thing, then by all means go Turbo! Turbo Tom (www.focus-power.com) as the best Turbo kit out there for the money. He's very reputable and is very good about answering guestions and problems that arise. Unfortunatly Turbo Tom is on his way to Mid-Ohio right now and won't be in till this comming Tuesday. Tom is also on this site and has his own forum on here as well.

[welcome] and enjoy this site

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
thfc1799 said:
yea i was thinking of it but I want to get everything little done first... I think the pulley's gonna be nice...
not to sway your way..but over the past 3 years i have managed to put on every bolt on, on my car and im tellin you the difference is just not there..ive spent probably around 3k in performance mods alone and only increased my whp by MAYBE 35whp, with our engines your just not going to see the gratification on bolt ons as opposed to the duratecs..f/i is the only way i would go if i wrecked my focus and got another zetec...sooo many options there

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: completely new

lildisco said:
Is it the ORP or Random Tech Cat? You can't have an offroad pipe and a cat at the same time. The SVT Header is the way to go. Best all around header but it's pricey. You can get the whole Kit from Mcnewsautomotive.com for 1 damn good price. Includes a Flex pipe and 02 Extenstions or Mil Eliminator depending on which route you choose. Depending on how you drive, i would go to for a supension. I have the SVT Suspension with Prothane Bushings for the Rear Sway Bar and i love it. If suspension isn't your thing, you could go for Cam Gears (really isn't a bolt on in my opinion) but you have to get them tuned. At that point you can get a chip or tune (flasher) that will help you make the most of your power that your making. You can also get some 4.06 Gears and different clutch if you want. If going N/A isn't your thing, then by all means go Turbo! Turbo Tom (www.focus-power.com) as the best Turbo kit out there for the money. He's very reputable and is very good about answering guestions and problems that arise. Unfortunatly Turbo Tom is on his way to Mid-Ohio right now and won't be in till this comming Tuesday. Tom is also on this site and has his own forum on here as well.

[welcome] and enjoy this site
see I called mcnews... The way they explained it was that The best setup would be... SVT headers, random tech cat, off road piping (therefore no 02 cheater neaded) but he might of made a mistake?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fokuzx3 said:
not to sway your way..but over the past 3 years i have managed to put on every bolt on, on my car and im tellin you the difference is just not there..ive spent probably around 3k in performance mods alone and only increased my whp by MAYBE 35whp, with our engines your just not going to see the gratification on bolt ons as opposed to the duratecs..f/i is the only way i would go if i wrecked my focus and got another zetec...sooo many options there
so your saying for the ZETEC FI is the way to go?

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
thfc1799 said:
see I called mcnews... The way they explained it was that The best setup would be... SVT headers, random tech cat, off road piping (therefore no 02 cheater neaded) but he might of made a mistake?
And Off Road Pipe (ORP) Replaces the Cat therefore, you don't need a Cat. I've talked to a few people at Mcnews a year or so ago and they said that you'd see about the same gains with a Hi-Flo Cat than with a ORP. The ORP is the cheapest way to go, but if you have emmissions testing, then you'll probally fail and possibly be fined.

thfc1799 said:
so your saying for the ZETEC FI is the way to go?
To see MAJOR gains, then yes. You can improve daily driving with Bolt-Ons and yes you'll notice a difference, but not nearly as much as FI

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lildisco said:
And Off Road Pipe (ORP) Replaces the Cat therefore, you don't need a Cat. I've talked to a few people at Mcnews a year or so ago and they said that you'd see about the same gains with a Hi-Flo Cat than with a ORP. The ORP is the cheapest way to go, but if you have emmissions testing, then you'll probally fail and possibly be fined.

To see MAJOR gains, then yes. You can improve daily driving with Bolt-Ons and yes you'll notice a difference, but not nearly as much as FI

awesome thanks

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
thfc1799 said:
Actually, if you plan on going F/I via a supercharger, under drive pulleys will actually lower boost on a supercharger, you can get an overdrive pulley to increase boost tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts