Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight i was bored so i went out late (no traffic, freeway is dead)
Decided to compare 55mph with 47mph around a freeway loop approx 20 miles long. manual tranny fifth gear.
Did 55mph first. averaged 42.1mpg (with reset mpg meter at start)
Did 47mph and averaged 46.2mpg (reset mpg meter at start)
Weather 55F temp, slight wind up to 5mph gusts.
These were the best choice of speeds I could do with a same speed 100% around on cruise control whole distance.
I would do a third loop at 60mph, but it is getting to be bar closing time, and i did not want to be doing 10 over in construction zones when the cops are waiting for the drunks to drive home.

I was suprised i got 42mpg at 55mph. With the lights on too.
Added: this is with 10%ethanol gas.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's Very good MPG.
The lights do use fuel because its about an extra +- 200 Watts load on the engine.
The aircon uses a lot more because of the compressor and Fans.
We should call you LightFoot Elizabeth the Queen of Frugal Fuel Consumprion.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hatch.... Very nice E!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I think I am becoming a hypermiler...
A bad sign. [rofl]
You're becoming a hypermiler? I'm about to take out my spare tire and put on my own homemade aero covers made out of recycled water bottles on my 195mm 15" steelies... I'm also debating the roof air spoiler - because it looks cool and (allegedly) reduces drag.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Did 47mph and averaged 46.2mpg (reset mpg meter at start)
Wow, 46.2mpg.. Good tests. Also smart dodging the drunks and speeding ticket. I kind if wish I did not know the 46.2mpg because I am also getting the Hypermiler bug (stupid digital display and green leaves[facepalm]) I really don't want to drive 47!

Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k&ob=av2e

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those mileage estimates can be way off (often overly optimistic). But it's likely correct that going slower gets better MPG. Do the calculation on fill-up to get an accurate indication.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Those mileage estimates can be way off (often overly optimistic). But it's likely correct that going slower gets better MPG. Do the calculation on fill-up to get an accurate indication.
Sure, real world driving and a test loop are not the same but I think she was simply trying to answer the question of what steady speed results in what MPG, not claiming that this MPG is achievable with normal driving.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Those mileage estimates can be way off (often overly optimistic).
They seem pretty accurate to me. I just wish I could drive at 35mph for an extended period of time with no stops to see how accurate they are.

·
Registered
68 Posts
They seem pretty accurate to me. I just wish I could drive at 35mph for an extended period of time with no stops to see how accurate they are.
Perhaps. Consumer Reports got 43 Hwy / 18 City (with an overall average of 28 MPG for all their fuel economy tests). The city MPG really brings down the average though.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Perhaps. Consumer Reports got 43 Hwy / 18 City (with an overall average of 28 MPG for all their fuel ecomony tests).
Sweet Jesus! I've never seen anything that low! Even if I just reset my meter and I am accelerating to get on the highway I'm at like 23mpg. Perhaps they were still in the break-in period.

EDIT: I do drive like a grandma.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sweet Jesus! I've never seen anything that low! Even if I just reset my meter and I am accelerating to get on the highway I'm at like 23mpg. Perhaps they were still in the break-in period.

EDIT: I do drive like a grandma.
As I said, the instantaneous readout of MPG is fairly useless. Have you actually calculated your overall MPG properly at the pump? Consumer Reports has the most accurate indication of MPG I've seen. For the 2012 Focus they actually used two different models (4 door SE and 5 door SEL), and a lot of real world driving went into the numbers (unlike the government test). It's all done after the break in period has ended.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/how-we-test/fuel-economy/fuel-economy.htm

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
My Fuelly (posted earlier) is all I've collected. As you can see - some days are better than others. Distance-wise I drive a lot of highway miles - but time-wise it's nearly 50/50 because Kenosha, WI has timed their lights to be missed in both the east and west directions.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sure, real world driving and a test loop are not the same but I think she was simply trying to answer the question of what steady speed results in what MPG, not claiming that this MPG is achievable with normal driving.
Yeah. I have noticed rain cuts mpg. And I wonder if a lot of turbulence from a lot of traffic cuts it also.
The best mpg i get are with little or no traffic around. When i am in traffic, even though i do not have to ever slow down, I just do not get the better mpg numbers. The turbulence from other cars must be what is messing up the mpg IMO. (I always leave a large distance to car in front.. but the cars passing, alongside ??)
And all this is always driving like the littel old lady. On city streets, driving normal would cut the mileage a LOT. One of these days i should do a day of street racer style driving just to see the mpg results. Zooming from one stoplight to the next.
Doing all i can to get the lowest mpg i can muster... LOL!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I know what you mean with the city mileage, though. If I reset it on the highway, by the time I coast to the light after I get off the ramp I'm at 44-46mpg. That's with NO acceleration from a dead-stop, though.

Driving in the city - accelerating at ONE light drops my gas mileage by like 0.3 to 0.4. But the time I get to my house I'm at like 39mpg. So those stop and go city miles REALLY add up (or subtract? [scratch]). If I drove more city miles, I would've gone Fusion hybrid or waited for the electric Focus or something.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts