Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys I have this exhaust cam# 10804E which I am pretty sure is the stage 2 cam...anyone know where I can get the intake cam to match this set...just the intake cam. also im thinking should i just get the stage 3 and be done with it... i know the stage 3 give a crappy idle but...so what? I have the car for fun not for a smooth ride feel...any other cons against the st3? This is the reason for all this...I have the stage 2 cams already in my car (have an extra st2 cam BNIB), well when I put the cam gears on they weren't on correctly (a lil off centered) and now I cant get the freaking cam gears off the cams so I just advanced them a lil (w/o timing belt on)...the car runs fine but it is bothering the hell out of me and I dont want to go to the dyno and they cant properly tune due to the fact that they cant advance anymore...anyways I may just get the stage 3 and sell the ones i have on (maybe someone can get those cam gears off... they are FR cam gears at that!) or should I just get the intake cam for the stage 2 and do it right with another set of cam gears??? I dont want to keep trying to get the cam gears off and then end up snapping the cam shafts. help me out here brethren.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i had a bit of trouble making sense out of your post. you already have stage 2 exhaust AND intake cams in there with adjustable FR cam gears that werent put on there quite right so you cant advance the timing anymore even though you might make more power from advancing it more. you are worried that you will break the cam shafts trying to get the gears off. you have ANOTHER stage 2 exhaust cam and want to track down the matching intake cam to go with it. are you wanting to mix and match a stage 2 exhaust cam with a stage 3 intake cam? that sounds like a possible epic fail to me. i cant say ive seen the results of such a match up but i dont imagine it would work as well as you would like.

so if i understand this correctly you want to know where to find a comp stage 2 intake cam.
here it is from jegs
http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/10803I/10002/-1?parentProductId=
part # 10803I

my opinion is that you should NOT mix and match stage 2 exhaust cam with stage 3 intake cam. it is also my opinion that you should have the money standing by to buy that stage 2 comp intake cam and adjustable cam gears but BEFORE buying them have another car to drive for at least a week. take the old cams and gears out and get the gears off. either break em or give up and leave them or get the gears off. if you get the gears off without hurting the cams then put them back on there right and be done with it. reinstall the cams and gears and sell that extra exhaust cam you have. if they break or you cannot get the gears off to save your life then sell what you can and buy the new cam and cam gears. wait for them to come in the mail and do it right this time! that is my opinion.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
close...I am thinking to either get the comp st 2 intake cam and just switch it out with the existing ones with new cam gears or take them out and put in st3 cams... if the only issue is a loop[y idle then i want the st 3 if there are huge problems then i will stay w/ st2. i have heard people w/ the st3 cams say that it is not that bad and even the idle wasnt that bad,,,car doesnt stall so what is the big deal? I have fr head, je HC pistons, eagle rods, etc, etc.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
in that case i say dump the stage 3 cams in there. you will surely like that better than stage 2. personally if the car is just a playtoy anyway i would get the most aggressive cams i could find for your car and make sure to have a oiling setup that can take the rpms. i was thinking you were going to put these cams in a stock head. shoot for the moon if you already have a good flowing head man. dry sump and cfm billet gear for oiling and some nasty crower cams. stage 3 crowers make peak power at around 8000 rpm and there are more aggressive ones available upon special request. you WILL have to clearance the head for the larger amount of lift of cams that have more than say .415" of lift. you also need to upgrade the springs unless you already have. i think the regular FR head uses factory springs and is simply a P&P head with 3 angle valve job.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think this head has upgraded springs/valves but i got it used... this was starfury's old fr head that was sold to mlbbaseball and then to mua. i think the comp st3 cams are good enough i dont want to start clearancing the head and crap like that.... i am just gonna do this and shoot a lil nos and call it a day...saving up for my 2013 ST!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts