Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 zetec 5 speed. doesnt want to idle. im not sure if its something mechanical or just the cams. today i tried a diablo chip that raises the idle a little bit maybe to 850? or so and its still wont idle. It runs pretty rich at idle can smell it, but ive timed it quite a few times. is that just normal with a longer overlap cam?

When it stalls it wont even run unless i feather the throttle. After stalling unless i crank the car with the throttle opened it wont start. I was thinking maybe a IAC problem or maybe o2. It is strange to me because it will idle fine and then if i turn off the car and start it a few seconds later it will die.

also last thing its an older comp cam i guess they redesigned them..i had to shim the CPS away from the metal piece on the cam. if the sensor was too far away and couldnt read it, would i get a code for it?

Runs ok when in gear and all. Still getting ok gas mileage at least 30.

any ideas or think i can rule out any of these things?

thanks
scott

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
is ur idle rough?? w/ greater overlap and higher lift, your idle should be rougher, heck, I run mine at 1400 just to be safe!!! I stall out at <1000 rpm w/ the crower II's

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt idle too rough at first. i reset the computer, well when i put in the chip, and it idled really nice then compared to stock idle. but after 20 minutes or so different story it was back to normal and stalling. i just want to make sure its not a sensor or something before i think about reflashing the chip or an xcal.

I guess ill just go through the obvious things.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
check your vacuum lines and anything else you unplugged or something.
are you getting any codes?

·
FF Affiliate
30,926 Posts
Did you install adj cam gears when you did this , sounds to me like your cams need some adjustment , play with your cam gear adjustment 2 deg at a time and see if it helps any , you have a chip so you need some dyno time to adjust the cam gears and do some tuning now

Tom

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok tom i will try that after i double check some quick things after this weather blows over!

now that i think about it i saw a p0133 code a week or so ago and reset the computer. since the front sensor is used for a/f that could be it. The sensors days are probably numbered after moving them around during my svt header install.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
sounds like you just need some tuning.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i just want to make sure i didnt do anything wrong.

if i found tdc on the wrong stroke im guessing that would be a problem...i didnt have a pin for the crank but i remember that the lobes on the cams above the 1st cylinder were pointing away from each other when i did it.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
TDC is TDC, stroke doesn't matter, so long as the cam bar fits.

I'd guess low manifold vacuum which is raising the fuel pressure and now your rich and it's dying because of too much fuel. Tune is about the only way to safely combat that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts