Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got teh Comps installe yesterday, and got to go tool around w/ em today. I'm realy loovin the power i'm getting from these things...the top end just hauls azz. One thing i've noticed, is now my valvetrain seems to be a little louder..
I've got the buckets all torqued down to 14ft./lbs. per the focushacks instructions, and i have checked all my clearenced while the engine was cold
spec: .004" - .007" intake
.011" - .013" exhaust

mine are-
Intake-
.007'' on all the intake

exhaust
.012'' .013'' .014'' .014'' .011'' .011'' .012'' .012''
^^^^^^
(I figure that .001" of an inch out of spec is allowable)

vid/sound clips

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v736/lanting90/?action=view&current=d3d1e3e0.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v736/lanting90/?action=view&current=56bb1929.flv

now the car seems to run just as good as it did before, but it just makes more noise..now i understand that because the cams have greater lift then stock, that the valves will be hitting teh valveseats a little harder, but being my first set of cams, well....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great job! I've had the Comp 2s for about six months now, they're really fun between 4k-7k.

Lip

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lip said:
Great job! I've had the Comp 2s for about six months now, they're really fun between 4k-7k.

Lip
yeah they are!!![thumb]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh ya, don't worry about the louder valvetrain. My clearences are in spec and it's not much quieter than yours.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you want less noise, shim the intakes to .005 and the exhaust to .011[;)] Too loose, can destroy the cams. You are on the loose end on the intake, and some of the exh. are out of spec, which in time will just get worse as things wear in.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i figured that once the engine heats up, that the clearences would become tighter due to the metal expanding from the heat??
if that's not the case, then i'll go to ford 2morrow, and order some new buckets-
BTW, the cams are used(about 2.5k on em), so i figured they are all kinda worn-in already?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I.m also running 10w30, I think it helped quiet the valvetrain a little.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i'm running 5w-30
not to much of a differance betweeen the 2.

i'm gona try and swap some of the smaller buckets on the exhaust, w/ some of the larger buckets on the exhaust and see what i come up w/
if that doesn't work, then i'll get teh bigger 3 exhaust buckets swapped out for now, and get teh intake ones when i have more cash on hand

also, do i need to check the clearances while they're cold, or warmed up??

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I haven't looked at the book lately, but I thought you check them hot. There may be different specs for cold in some books. I will try to look tomorrow if I get a chance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Which comps do you have? My stage 2s cam cards have the intake @ .006 and the exhaust @ .010. If you have comp 2s your intake side should be fine, but .013, .014 might be a little excessive.

Lip

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have the stage 2's as well. i bought theses used, so i never got a spec card or anything, just going off what i found on here/haynes manual.

BTW, after i pull the buckets, if i can't read what size they are, how do i measure em to find out-i have a micometer already, just don't know how i'm supposed to measure em'

·
Registered
789 Posts
lanting check your pm's

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thankz for the pm focusfreak-

i'll be going to Ford tomarrow-to take care of the bigger 3 on teh exhaust. That should get rid of teh noise.
thank you everybody!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts