Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like to share me experience so Far working on the Zetec.

I'm INstalling a timing kit, water pump, FOrd Racing Springs, Comp 2 Cams and idler pulleys, ect.

Timing Kit worked Great except the Bar was to big to fit in the cams so I had to sand it down for 20 minutes to make it fit.

Spent all day today Measuring Lash of Buckets. VERY Interesting. Intake side was nowhere close.

Comp says .01 Inch lash. +- .002
Mine were
Intake .004,.005,.005,.005,.005,.006,.005,.007
Exhaust .009,.010,.009,.009,.010,.007,.010,.009

After you measure the Lash you can clean the inside of the bucket with a q-tip and it will tell you what size bucket you have.
I was able to reuse 3 buckets by swapping them out but had to order 5 from Ford Dealership.

If anybody is planning on getting the COMP 2 Cams, Plan on finding atleast a dozen buckets before doing the install or pay top dollar from ford.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Where's iminhell (chuckle)

He posted the stock clearances a while ago & I can't remember them offhand.

Same spec for intake & exh. looks strange, except for a couple off a little the original clearances look more normal.

P.S. - looked up old threads & it got more interesting.

zetec at I - .004-.007, E- .011-.013

SVT at I - .008-.011, E- .012-.015

Comp posted is I & E - .008-.012

Draw your own conclusions, I've never seen I & E the same though that spec is central enough to stock ranges that it should work.

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
No need to loosen the intakes up like that, they do not swell from heat as much. Why the difference is there, cams won't change that. I'd go minimum of .005", the cam cap clearance is often that much.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Just figured Comp wanted .01" for a reason, they were VERY Firm about the (.01") +-.002 on the phone to the point of sounding like an A$$. I have read of many people using .006 to .007" and being fine but just trying to do it right.

Hopefully the comp 2's work well with the Powerworks. I have only heard of 1 other guy combining the 2 and I think he made around 260whp with the stndard pulley and Full exhaust.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You'll be where they want then, and clearance does affect timing a bit.

Numbers don't look wrong, just unusual.

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
The exhausts get more space because they get much hotter and expand more. They also wear quite a bit faster than the intakes from seat/valve recession, the intakes at least with no spring on them like stock wear virtually none at all. Wear on these tightens the valve up generally as vs. old school stuff which loosened up.

Comp most likely trying to ensure the clearances are nowhere near what the cam caps can be or easily .004"-.005", caps being that loose eat up the available clearance on the valves to make it nil as the cams bounce around in their holes, the springs move cams up and down in the caps to affect real world clearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts