Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always detected the difference in front wheel drive. Recently the daughter slid into a round-about in the snow and bent her left front wheel-no flat- but bent. We replaced it and I looked real close underneath for anything else bent, cracked paint, etc while I had the wheel off. I all looked good to me. The car tracks great, can take the hands off the wheel at 60 mph with no problem staying straight. But now under hard acceleration it really wants to pull hard to the right, as if a trans problem, both not pulling equally.

What causes this phenomenom and is anything really wrong?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
My Focus doesn't pull under acceleration.... and I haven't heard of such an issue on FF forums with any year.

I'd guess the tow-in has been tweaked. Normally tow-in can be off somewhat, and the car won't pull if you remove your hands from the wheel.....you'll just wear out tires.

Get the thing checked at a reputable dealer or alignment place. Those cheap shops like Midas might be able to get the alignment straight enough, but won't find the reason for the problem.....something got bent.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most likely something somewhere is tweaked. Most likely the Caster angle has changed. Uneven Caster can cause torque steer but yet let the car go strait down the road. A likely place to check is the strut itself. On a positive note, since the controll arm did not bend and the subframe is OK you should be able to get it back to the way it was without too much problem.
Ken

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
My Focus doesn't pull under acceleration.... and I haven't heard of such an issue on FF forums with any year.

I'd guess the tow-in has been tweaked. Normally tow-in can be off somewhat, and the car won't pull if you remove your hands from the wheel.....you'll just wear out tires.

Get the thing checked at a reputable dealer or alignment place. Those cheap shops like Midas might be able to get the alignment straight enough, but won't find the reason for the problem.....something got bent.
sorry blue......... don't hate me for this but it's buggin me lol...... it's called "toe-in" [hihi]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess we'll run it up to the local Les Schwab. "torque steer" is a real good description of the symptom. Thanks guys.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^^More correct would be the effects of an open differential, in which the wheel side with the least resistance shall get the most power. But as noted if the suspension geometry is correct it should not be a real noticeable pull, unless you are making mucho power.
Chances are if she hit something all is not well. The naked eye will not be able to spot changes in geometry and it is probably best to get it checked out, if not for only piece of mind. And remember suspension geometry will also affect braking, so the safety aspect should also be taken into account.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
^^ yeah usually those accidents always result in more damage where you're like "WTF? it looks fine." ha my friends bent three of his steelies and I just said "deal with it, I'm not fixing it for you anymore if you're gonna keep killing your car."

but what I meant to say, was that it's true about the open diff. and I hate that so much, cause I had my car stuck on like a 1/5 of an inch of ice and I couldn't get it to move because of that one wheel :|

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My son recently slide into a curb at very slow speed. The damage was a bent tie rod and the control arm, where the ball joint is attached, was visibly distorted and bent (it looked like the rivets on the ball joint almost pulled through the control arm and bent the arm as they did) I made him repair it (he's turning out to be a very good mechanic). Buying a new control arm with the ball joint installed was the way to go. He said the tie rod replacement was a bigger pain as it (the stock rod) has no wrench flats on it (most after market ones do) and required a pipe wrench which barely fit on the bar (no room) and as a result, could only be turned less than a quarter of a revolution at a time (so it took forever to undo it). Fortunately for him the tire took the blow (and lived through it) rather than the rim in his case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts