Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
well just an up date on my focus it took longer to get it into the next shop just got it back today $340.00 was how much it ended up being . it was two solenoids the two little ones if you only do the one it weal burn it right out again the shop found that out the hard way but ford covered it and it didn't cost me anything if i would have did it myself i would have pay for three of them instead of two plus he cleared the codes changed filter,gasket,fluid and added conditioner additive now it shifts better then when it was new.O and there was nothing wrong with anything else like the first shop said! So before you pay haft what the car is Worth ask someone else.Solenoids cost $134.52 throu ford.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's actually not too hard to get from here to swapping in a performance valvebody, either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile

so i pulled code for the "d" solenoid, think it was p0765 or something, im sure the last digits were 65 and it used theword "ssd" on the printout. i read the guide, which is great, but for the code i have the OP listed to "check pinpoint a" and im not really sure what that means?

engine light is on, very rough shifting at low speeds and in/out of gear. 02 zts 103k miles

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hi guys, haven't been on the site in quite a while, remember I said I thought my solenoids were gone ? Well finally late october '09 I went to Ford, spoke to the master of transmissions there, hence the guy has 35 yrs of experience only in Ford tranny's, we hooked a computer on the car and went driving, guess what, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the tranny, it only is a tiny bit hard on the lock-up (yes I drive an automatic) but further all is ok. Ended up paying 45 $ for the check up but it was worth it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi guys, haven't been on the site in quite a while, remember I said I thought my solenoids were gone ? Well finally late october '09 I went to Ford, spoke to the master of transmissions there, hence the guy has 35 yrs of experience only in Ford tranny's, we hooked a computer on the car and went driving, guess what, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the tranny, it only is a tiny bit hard on the lock-up (yes I drive an automatic) but further all is ok. Ended up paying 45 $ for the check up but it was worth it.
Hey, not too bad...

And, btw, a little tip for people. You can get a PocketScan from Advance Auto Parts for around $80. It just gives the codes & lets you clear em, but its about the best $80 I ever spent (needed the thing when I had my old Geo Tracker...damn check engine light would never go out, it had so many problems LOL). I'd call it an essential for your tool box (or better, glove box...easy to hook up to the OBDII port on the Focus, and you have it if you get a sudden check engine light while driving).

·
Registered
157 Posts
my ATX is now fixed

Here is my experience with the 4F27E ATX.

It started slipping out of 4th and progressed to not going into 4th at all, and slipping out of 3rd gear. A week later I lost reverse completely. So I was thinking 'rebuild' and big $$$. But after reading this article I was convinced that it was the SSA. So I went to Ford and got one for $47 and swapped it out. Nothing. No change.

So I asked a freind of mine if her Husband, who is a master mech., could fix it. No problem she said. He took the ATX out and tore it down. He found the problem, or a problem. There is a small snap ring about 3 inches in diameter that hold the 'inards' of the reverse/4th gear drum together. It had popped out of place causing things to be loose and no pressure was able to build up. It looksl ike Ford had realized there was a problem with this because they redesigned another ring that helps keep that one from coming out. The original had tabs along the inside that held the ring in, new one was solid all the way around.

Anyway he got it all back together replacing a few seals and a new piston for the reverse drum, it had a depression in a rubber ring or something were the retaining ring had popped out. Yeah, fixed! Almost...

The next day it starts slipping in 3rd and wont go into 4th. Check engine light is on. Slip into Autozone and its code P0755, the SSB. Fortunatly the SSA and SSB solenoid are identicle, so I swap out my original SSA for my SSB. Success! It looks like my ATX had 2 problems, the retaining ring and a bad SSB.

Thanks for the great writeup on these solenoids! Really gave me the confidence to do them myself!

PS. I dont believe in coincidences. Having a solenoid go bad and a retaining ring pop out at almost the same time... they have to be related. Im wondering if the jerking from the ATX slipping put too much pressure somehow on that reverse drum?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Question......

I have almost 185,000 miles on my 2001 atx, and have had zero issues. I'll be changing the transmission filter and fluid this coming weekend. I am guessing thsi is not something I can do just because I have the pan cracked open right? In other words, do not change out the solonoid until I have an issue right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which solenoid controls 2-3 shifting??

My 2000 focus slips between 2-3, and the heavier the load the more it slips. So I'm hoping its a solenoid, only I dont know which one it is.

I changed the filter and fluid, that didn't help anything. I see the solenoids just need to know what controls what. Any help is appreciated.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i'm new to the forum and i have a question about this particular tranny problem. I have 2002 base model with a sohc slipping in overdrive. If i turn overdrive off it drives fine and the obd code is P0750. I looked up the sensor XS4Z-7H148-AA but it says it wont work for 2000-2004 sohc. So my question is does anyone know the part for a sohc or where i could find it? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice, my son drives a 2002 ZX5, and had CEL and codes P0750 and P0751. Same trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Changed the "A" solonoid, (and the Filter and fluid for good measure), now it drives great! All the Best, Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
2009 automatic SE; sometimes slips when putting it into reverse. It seems to do it mainly when it is cold.....but not all the time. Do you think a solenoid is also the problem.

·
Captain TMI
21,227 Posts
For those of you who are not familiar with internet forums, the date of the post is listed in the left hand corner on the banner separating posts. If you go back to the beginning of the thread, you'll see that it was started in 08. That's why nobody answered your questions.

I'm glad you found a description of your problem by using the search button, but it would be better for you if you started your own thread, and then pasted a link to the old thread that you thought had the same problem as you. You'd get more answers that way. Not every problem is the same- the symptoms might be similar, but the causes might be completely different.

Please start your own thread Kathy, and no, I don't think a shift solenoid is your problem. It would be a good idea for you to warm up your car- like drive to work or the store- then check your transmission fluid. The procedure is given in the owner's manual. You have to check it with the engine running or the dipstick reading will be higher than it should be. IF you find you need fluid, use Mercon V fluid, do not use MerconIII, MerconV is almost twice as expensive as MIII.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Saw that copy and paste on Edmunds.com. It was a good write up. What does solenoid E and solenoid A do? I have no reverse. Trying to see why?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I bought a OBDII reader from Napa for $45. It's the "CAN" also. Good price.

Anyway. Here are the list of codes!

PO750 Solenoid A - XS4Z7H148AA
PO755 Solenoid B - ?
PO770 Solenoid E - XS4Z7G484AA

Can someone confirm the part numbers? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 03 Focus se revs when it shifts 2nd to 3rd and the car slows down slightly 1st to 2nd also hesitates but dosent rev. I want to sell it a get a new focus but I want to fix this issue.

Also it likes to stall when I stop?

HELP.

-FM

41 - 60 of 258 Posts